News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naked student shot dead in Alabama

Started by Lettow77, October 07, 2012, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

23 total incidents.  Let's hear it for the shallow end of the sample pool for statistical analysis.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 12:41:13 PM
23 total incidents.  Let's hear it for the shallow end of the sample pool for statistical analysis.
Yeah, they definitely need to shoot a lot more people before they can call it safe.

The Brain

Swedish cops aim at the legs, if possible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2012, 12:45:18 PM
Swedish cops aim at the legs, if possible.
Naturally.  They only need to wound the victims so that the criminals can proceed with their depredations unmolested.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Last year, Austrian police were attacked by a woman with knives. When tazering her didn't help, they put 9 bullets in her. She survived, though. A cop was moderately cut.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 12:41:13 PM
Yeah, they definitely need to shoot a lot more people before they can call it safe.

Weak.  100% of your post sucks ass.

CountDeMoney

Hey Neil, check this stupidity out:

QuoteBefore the police fire shots involving a risk of harm to a person, the person must be informed in so far as possible,
first by shouted warnings and then by warning shots, that the police intend to fire if police orders are not observed. It
must also be ensured, in so far as possible, that the person is able to observe the order.

Warning shots are required.  Even gayer than aiming at legs.

DGuller

Russian police is also required to fire warning shots, and no one ever accused them of showing mercy towards any civilian they run across.  I recall that in one incident, a cop fired 8 warning shots while chasing the suspect.  Unfortunately for that cop, he was armed with a Makarov.

CountDeMoney

So where exactly are these warning shots to be fired?  In the air, where they can come back down someplace?  In the pavement, where they can ricochet into a vehicle's gas tank?  In the wall next to the suspect, where they can ricochet, or go through someone's living room?

What a brilliant policy.  You don't fire a service weapon unless you have a reasonable idea where the round is going to wind up.

Warning shots.  Unreal.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 01:06:38 PM
So where exactly are these warning shots to be fired?  In the air, where they can come back down someplace?  In the pavement, where they can ricochet into a vehicle's gas tank?  In the wall next to the suspect, where they can ricochet, or go through someone's living room?

What a brilliant policy.  You don't fire a service weapon unless you have a reasonable idea where the round is going to wind up.

Warning shots.  Unreal.
Yeah, sounds dangerous, but has anyone actually been killed by warning shots falling to the ground?  When the alternative is a policy of shooting to kill whenever force has to be used, you're going to need to come up with stronger objections than "what if the warning shot falls on the nuclear power plant operator, who falls on the control panel and presses the "meltdown" button?"

Neil

Wasn't there some shit a few years back about a Muslim wedding killing somebody with their airshots?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 01:11:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 01:06:38 PM

Warning shots.  Unreal.
Yeah, sounds dangerous, but has anyone actually been killed by warning shots falling to the ground?  When the alternative is a policy of shooting to kill whenever force has to be used, you're going to need to come up with stronger objections than "what if the warning shot falls on the nuclear power plant operator, who falls on the control panel and presses the "meltdown" button?"

The meltdown button is a myth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 01:11:36 PM
Yeah, sounds dangerous, but has anyone actually been killed by warning shots falling to the ground?

I don't know what the percentages are of how many people have been killed or wounded by warning shots in the air--we had a fatality here just a couple of July 4ths ago, from a yahoo--shooting in the air--but I know what the percentages are when they're not.

QuoteWhen the alternative is a policy of shooting to kill whenever force has to be used, you're going to need to come up with stronger objections than "what if the warning shot falls on the nuclear power plant operator, who falls on the control panel and presses the "meltdown" button?"

I certainly wouldn't bother with a warning shot to shoot you in the fucking mouth, that's for sure.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2012, 01:14:27 PM
Wasn't there some shit a few years back about a Muslim wedding killing somebody with their airshots?
Yes, falling bullets can kill (though I'm not sure if pistol bullets have enough of a terminal velocity and the height to do it).  However, shooting a gun in general is dangerous, and bystanders can always get hurt.  It's a matter of contrasting different options, you don't get to critique a certain method in isolation.  When the benchmark method is shooting to kill whenever you have to shoot, the bar is fairly low to find a better alternative method, as dangerous as it would be itself.