World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, October 05, 2012, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2012, 12:05:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 10:56:34 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2012, 10:31:28 AM
Well, it's not like we post here under our real names. Even if someone links the account here to a real person, there is no way to counter a claim that this is someone impersonating a real person etc.

Someone once told me "with internet technology, assume anyone will be able to find out anything". Emails, posts on chat websites - if someone really wants to find out, you won't have any privacy. Particularly in the future.

Yes and no.

The authorities. with sufficient effort and the proper warrants, could pretty much discover everything about your online activities.

Not so much if it's just a news reporter, or an opposing criminal.

I feel reasonably secure in my online posts - unless someone from Languish who knows my real name rats me out. <_<

If you were a major politician ... say ten years down the road ... I would not bet that newshounds would not be able to find pretty well everything.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 12:14:03 PM
If you were a major politician ... say ten years down the road ... I would not bet that newshounds would not be able to find pretty well everything.

But you're talking about BB. When has he ever said anything that could be used against him? :blink:

Ohh... right.. he's a gamer..  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I stand behind everything I've ever posted, especially those things that degrade independent air forces and support dreadnought battleships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2012, 12:56:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 12:14:03 PM

But you're talking about BB. When has he ever said anything that could be used against him? :blink:

Ohh... right.. he's a gamer..  :ph34r:

Well for one, he's associated with *us*.  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Well, it's not like we post here under our real names. Even if someone links the account here to a real person, there is no way to counter a claim that this is someone impersonating a real person etc.

Someone once told me "with internet technology, assume anyone will be able to find out anything". Emails, posts on chat websites - if someone really wants to find out, you won't have any privacy. Particularly in the future.

Yes and no.

The authorities. with sufficient effort and the proper warrants, could pretty much discover everything about your online activities.

I feel reasonably secure in my online posts - unless someone from Languish who knows my real name rats me out. <_<

Well, if someone was insane and obsessive they could simply track a Crown Prosecutor who has shifted from Alberta to Yukon and back again.  That kinda narrows it down a bit. :whistle:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2012, 01:06:43 PM

Yes and no.

Well, if someone was insane and obsessive they could simply track a Crown Prosecutor who has shifted from Alberta to Yukon and back again.  That kinda narrows it down a bit. :whistle:

A: it's not that easy.  There's no master list of Crown Prosecutor's available.

B: but in any event, that's different.  Someone from Languish could probably track me down in real life.  But could someone from real life find my online postings?  Much more difficult.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2012, 01:12:27 PM

Yes and no.

B: but in any event, that's different.  Someone from Languish could probably track me down in real life.  But could someone from real life find my online postings?  Much more difficult.

The Yukon office had a list of all their prosecutors on their website.

Eddie Teach

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2012, 01:27:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2012, 01:12:27 PM

Yes and no.

The Yukon office had a list of all their prosecutors on their website.

:yeahright:

The "Yukon office" doesn't even have a website.  The national office has no such list of prosecutors.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

You never saw that before? People used to talk about World of Roguecraft all the time on WoW forums.