World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, October 05, 2012, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

The gaming hobby of a political candidate has become an issue in a state senate race in New England, US.

Maine Republicans have created a webpage revealing that Democrat candidate Colleen Lachowicz plays an orc rogue in World of Warcraft (WoW).

Ms Lachowicz's liking for back-stabbing and poison in WoW raise questions about her "fitness for office", they claim.

Ms Lachowicz has hit back saying the attack showed the Republicans were "out of touch".

Weird focus
The state senate seat known as District 25 in Maine, is currently being contested by Ms Lachowicz and incumbent Republican Tom Martin. Voting takes place on 6 November.

As part of its campaign efforts, the Republican party in the state created "Colleen's World" - a website that compiles information about Ms Lachowicz's orc rogue Santiaga. An orc is a mythical human-like creature, generally described as fierce and combative.

In a statement that accompanies the webpage, Maine Republicans said playing the game led Ms Lachowicz to live a "bizarre double life" that raised questions about her ability to represent the state.

The page also detailed some of the comments Ms Lachowicz has made while talking about her orc rogue, in particular it highlights her affection for Santiaga's ability to stab things and kill people without suffering a jail sentence.

"These are some very bizarre and offensive comments," said Maine Republican Party spokesman David Sorensen in a statement. "They certainly raise questions about Lachowicz's maturity and her ability to make serious decisions for the people of Senate District 25."

The site also lists many of the 400 comments she has posted to left wing political news and discussion site Daily Kos. Maine Republicans have also posted leaflets that reproduce the information on the website.

"I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games," said Ms Lachowicz in a statement. "Apparently I'm in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games.

"Instead of talking about what they're doing for Maine people, they're making fun of me for playing video games," said Ms Lachowicz.

It is not clear what effect the Republican tactic will have on the state senate race in Maine. However, many messages of support have been left on Ms Lachowicz's own webpage with some pledging cash to her campaign.

Gaming researcher Ladan Cockshut said the row revealed how gaming can be seen as a bad thing to do.

"In my work, I've spoken with many people who in their regular lives have roles of significant responsibility (as doctors, managers, or educators) but who choose carefully with whom they disclose their gaming activity," she told the BBC. "And disclosing their gaming activity is often accompanied by a degree of apology or embarrassment."

But, she added, having a gamer run for office was a "heartening" development.

"This would seem to run contrary to the other stereotypes that we love to assign to gamers: that they are lazy, antisocial people who don't have a 'real life'," she said. "Maybe this will trigger some dialogue about our perceptions of gamers and the role that games can and should play in modern society."

Josquius

"I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games," said Ms Lachowicz in a statement. "Apparently I'm in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games.
LOL what?
Where did she get that from? That's ridiculous.
Is she counting everyone who has ever clicked on a flash game? As even then that seems large.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2012, 09:35:54 AM
LOL what?
Is she counting everyone who has ever clicked on a flash game? As even then that seems large.

Do you know what the population of the US is? Do you know how many of those are on facebook?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I sure hope no Languisites are planning a political career. This place would be a goldmine for your future opponents.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 09:39:53 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I sure hope no Languisites are planning a political career.

If Mitt Romney can physically assault gay kids out of bigotry and be fine I am sure Languishites can make it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2012, 09:41:37 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I sure hope no Languisites are planning a political career.

If Mitt Romney can physically assault gay kids out of bigotry and be fine I am sure Languishites can make it.

Nah. Some shit you did as a kid is just a story, unless there is a film clip to post on youtube. The written word has much bigger impact.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

The democrats need to counter this with a blog about how duplicitous republicans are when they play Risk and Monopoly.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2012, 09:35:54 AM
LOL what?

Here you go: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704590704576092460302990884.html. Broaden your horizons.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 09:45:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2012, 09:41:37 AM

Nah. Some shit you did as a kid is just a story, unless there is a film clip to post on youtube. The written word has much bigger impact.  :D

Well, it's not like we post here under our real names. Even if someone links the account here to a real person, there is no way to counter a claim that this is someone impersonating a real person etc.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2012, 10:31:28 AM
Well, it's not like we post here under our real names. Even if someone links the account here to a real person, there is no way to counter a claim that this is someone impersonating a real person etc.

The claim could simply be ignored or brushed aside.  I'm with Malthus on this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Someone once told me "with internet technology, assume anyone will be able to find out anything". Emails, posts on chat websites - if someone really wants to find out, you won't have any privacy. Particularly in the future.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 10:56:34 AM

Someone once told me "with internet technology, assume anyone will be able to find out anything". Emails, posts on chat websites - if someone really wants to find out, you won't have any privacy. Particularly in the future.

Yes and no.

The authorities. with sufficient effort and the proper warrants, could pretty much discover everything about your online activities.

Not so much if it's just a news reporter, or an opposing criminal.

I feel reasonably secure in my online posts - unless someone from Languish who knows my real name rats me out. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2012, 12:05:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2012, 10:56:34 AM

Yes and no.

The authorities. with sufficient effort and the proper warrants, could pretty much discover everything about your online activities.

Not so much if it's just a news reporter, or an opposing criminal.

I feel reasonably secure in my online posts - unless someone from Languish who knows my real name rats me out. <_<

How can you be worried about that? You are the snitch!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.