And we're back!

Main Menu

Renewable energy - Thoughts?

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2012, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 02:49:10 PM
Carbon taxes are problematic for a couple of reasons:

1) Unless you live in a jurisdiction that has hydro power (like the paradise which is British Columbia) you will probably always need to rely on some form of carbon based generation.  The problem is that the power needs to be generated when it is required.  If you have a wind farm that generates power in off peak periods that is not going to help you very much.  As a result a carbon tax will simply make energy more expensive without solving the problem.
easy.  You import electricity from places wich produces clean energy.  BC would make millions.  Quebec would see millions in the streets protesting about neo-liberalism and destruction of our rivers.

2)  Because of the lack of certainty of supply associated with many alternative energy sources they need to be subsidized in some manner in order to make them economically feasible.  I have heard carbon tax advocates argue that the money generated by the tax should pay for such a subsidy which of course raises the concern JR wants to avoid by just putting the revenue into general revenue.  But then who is going to invest in an uncertain power supply?
the problem of many renewable energy sources is that they are misused.  Wind mills (sorry, turbines ;) )are a good example.  They are great as a complementary energy source, bas as main source of power.  Green lobby pushes for wind turbines, so we build wind turbines as main source and sell electricity at loss.

But, if you build wind turbines as complementary to a river dam, you'll reduce the cost of your projects.  Without subsidies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2012, 03:10:37 PM

But, if you build wind turbines as complementary to a river dam, you'll reduce the cost of your projects.  Without subsidies.

I was thinking that a 30/30/30/10 wind/solar/nuclear/fossil fuels split would work well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

QuoteRenewable energy - Thoughts?

I'm in favor.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
How do you calculate an appropriate carbon tax?

You could either hire some egghead from MIT to model electricity supply and demand or you could ask Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to do it.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
How do you calculate an appropriate carbon tax?

You could either hire some egghead from MIT to model electricity supply and demand or you could ask Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to do it.

Okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2012, 01:57:11 PM
Most of this solar panel and "bio mass" (:bleeding:) BS has just been a great way to corrupt away a lot of government money. The ROI rate on them is shitty enough even with subsidies, AFAIK

Solar is great for certain applications....but mostly for off-grid needs.  Sure beats storing tons of Deisel fuel or whatever.

I like natural gas supplemented by wind and hydro to be the mainstay of our energy use in the short term along with energy efficiency.  Fuel is a huge yoke the economy has to bear so continuing to try to get electricity to supplement fuel use is good as well.

So I guess for the Feds we are talking about incentives for hydro and wind farms when reasonably applicable and regulations and incentives for fuel efficient transportation.  Also  R&D money for alternative fuels and energy and so forth.

Solar should be left to local communities and States to supplement and develop as it stands now...except for applications where the Feds actually are using it themselves like for the military or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Drill for more natural gas and oil. Build the pipelines. Allow the exportation of American liquefied natural gas. Build nuclear power plants again.

Remove tariffs on Chinese wind and solar products.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on October 04, 2012, 03:47:59 PM

Do we even have a good industry for these?  It seemed like the Germans, Japanese, and Chinese dominate in these products.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Drill for more natural gas and oil. Build the pipelines. Allow the exportation of American liquefied natural gas. Build nuclear power plants again.

Now we're talking.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:49:09 PM
Now we're talking.

Yeah natural gas is the key.  I think Nukes are dead though, at least for awhile.

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2012, 03:49:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:49:09 PM
Now we're talking.

Yeah natural gas is the key.  I think Nukes are dead though, at least for awhile.
Sexy ad campaign, positive speeches from leaders, and ban on nuclear shit-talking from schoolteachers.

merithyn

None of that is actually renewable.  :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2012, 03:48:46 PM
Do we even have a good industry for these?  It seemed like the Germans, Japanese, and Chinese dominate in these products.

Seems to me wind turbines get built in the US by subsidiaries of foreign companies.  One up the road from me is Spanish owned.

I imagine it's cost-prohibitive to ship wind turbines because the parts are so fucking gigantor.