And we're back!

Main Menu

Renewable energy - Thoughts?

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2012, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2012, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 04, 2012, 03:47:59 PM
Drill for more natural gas and oil. Build the pipelines. Allow the exportation of American liquefied natural gas. Build nuclear power plants again.

Remove tariffs on Chinese wind and solar products.

None of that is actually renewable.  :hmm:
Stepping stones. Cheap non-renewable energy will keep our economy running cheaply and richly in the medium-term until scientists figure out cheap, renewable energy.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 03:52:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2012, 03:48:46 PM
Do we even have a good industry for these?  It seemed like the Germans, Japanese, and Chinese dominate in these products.

Seems to me wind turbines get built in the US by subsidiaries of foreign companies.  One up the road from me is Spanish owned.

I imagine it's cost-prohibitive to ship wind turbines because the parts are so fucking gigantor.

I had seen them from a distance quite a while ago, but never realized how monstrous those are until seeing a semi hauling one gigantic propeller blade on I-275 a couple years ago. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:56:31 PM
I had seen them from a distance quite a while ago, but never realized how monstrous those are until seeing a semi hauling one gigantic propeller blade on I-275 a couple years ago.

Same here.  On I-80.

merithyn

Each blade is ~50 yards long.

I absolutely love driving through the wind farms around here. There's an indescribable beauty and grace to them. I've never understood the oposition's argument that they're ugly.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2012, 04:09:44 PM
Each blade is ~50 yards long.

I absolutely love driving through the wind farms around here. There's an indescribable beauty and grace to them. I've never understood the oposition's argument that they're ugly.

Once the 'wow' factor wears off I do think they are a bit on the ugly side.  I'd rather see plain old farmland.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I think the first few times you see them they are quite striking.

But after driving past a few thousand I can see how they'd lose their appeal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

The only wind turbines I've seen are the five turbines near the entrance to Atlantic City.  I think they make the place look better.  Then again, to one side of them, you have a swamp, and to the other side of them, you have Atlantic City, so the bar is set fairly low.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2012, 03:10:37 PM
easy.  You import electricity from places wich produces clean energy.  BC would make millions.  Quebec would see millions in the streets protesting about neo-liberalism and destruction of our rivers.

Not quite so easy.  Take BC as an example - during high use periods we actually have to import energy if our hydro generators cant keep up with production.  Granted we also export into the American grid but it is not the panacea you make it out to be.  Again going back to the problem of having energy generation at the same time as peak usage.

QuoteBut, if you build wind turbines as complementary to a river dam, you'll reduce the cost of your projects.  Without subsidies.

Which goes back to the premise of my point.  If you do not live in a jurisdiction that has hydro then the thing that is being supplmented is carbon based generation so all a carbon tax does is make energy consumption more expensive without solving the problem.

MadImmortalMan

Actually, you can make oil out of trash. Two birds with one stone.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2012, 03:13:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2012, 03:10:37 PM

But, if you build wind turbines as complementary to a river dam, you'll reduce the cost of your projects.  Without subsidies.

I was thinking that a 30/30/30/10 wind/solar/nuclear/fossil fuels split would work well.

Get used to a lot of times when you dont have power - especially at night when there is no wind.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 04:38:22 PM
Get used to a lot of times when you dont have power - especially at night when there is no wind.

I think you mean there is no sun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2012, 04:39:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 04:38:22 PM

I think you mean there is no sun.

Yeah, that generally happens at night.....  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2012, 01:39:05 PM
I priced solar for my home a few years back and it just wasn't worth the expense.

Don't participate in the process in order to drive down costs or anything.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 02:49:10 PM
Nuclear is an answer to the problem of certainty of power generation.  But the resistance to it has little to do with the cost

Resistance to it has everything to do with cost. 
See: Constellation Energy, Calvert Cliffs #3, and Exelon Corp, Zion Station, IL and Victoria, TX.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 04:21:39 PM
Once the 'wow' factor wears off I do think they are a bit on the ugly side.  I'd rather see plain old farmland.

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2012, 04:23:08 PM
I think the first few times you see them they are quite striking.

But after driving past a few thousand I can see how they'd lose their appeal.

I've driven through them hundreds of times, and it hasn't yet, but sure, I could see that being a problem for some.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...