News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Princess Bride Sequel?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 03, 2012, 07:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Inconceivable!

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/03/princess-bride-sequel.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29

The Princess Bride writer William Goldman says he's been trying to write a sequel

By Jamie Frevele at 10:14 am Wednesday, Oct 3

Before you start worrying that some unworthy person is going to try writing a sequel to The Princess Bride, let it be known that the man who wrote the original, screenwriter William Goldman (who also wrote the original novel), has actually been trying to write one himself for years. What's stopping him? He's having trouble coming up with a good story. Last night at the New York Film Festival, Goldman made it sound like this has been floating around in his head for years:

"I'm desperate to make it and write it and I don't know how... I would love to make it, more than anything else I've not written."

It's reassuring that any story about a sequel to The Princess Bride is a story about Mr. Goldman and not some other writer preparing big-budget fan fiction that everyone will probably protest with fire and rage. Goldman, who also wrote the screenplays for All the President's Men and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, is the only person who is allowed to talk about writing a Princess Bride sequel as far as I'm concerned. Such a beloved and delicately crafted kingdom of characters should only come from its creator, at least in this case. So if the mood ever strikes Goldman and he does come up with a new adventure for Westley and Buttercup, I'm sure I'm not the only person who will think it was worth the wait.

One thing is for certain, though: Even a great sequel written by Goldman that will "bwing evewyone togethah" won't have Andre the Giant, Peter Cook, or Peter Falk in it. And that is a pretty big bummer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote"I'm desperate to make it and write it and I don't know how...

At least he realizes it.  Some writers don't, and continue anyway, destroying their own greatest creation.  YOU KNOW WHO IM TALKING ABOUT GEORGE

Sophie Scholl

Unless I'm mistaken, he has been at work on the idea for years.  My old copy of the book has hints in it about a sequel.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Crazy_Ivan80

he needs to hire more Sicilians.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 07:18:59 PM
At least he realizes it.  Some writers don't, and continue anyway, destroying their own greatest creation.  YOU KNOW WHO IM TALKING ABOUT GEORGE
George?  Goerge who?  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Phillip V

Eddie Teach

I'd rather not see a nude scene if it's featuring Cary Elwes and Robin Wright.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2012, 04:51:21 PM
I'd rather not see a nude scene if it's featuring Cary Elwes and Robin Wright.

Neither one of them incidentally has had promising careers since. The beauty of Princess Bride was its supporting cast, inconceivable as that may be.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Eh, they've been successful enough. That movie was probably the highlight of the career of everyone involved, with exception of Billy Crystal(not that he's been in better movies, just more prominent roles in them).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2012, 05:56:01 PM
That movie was probably the highlight of the career of everyone involved, with exception of Billy Crystal(not that he's been in better movies, just more prominent roles in them).

:lol:  I think Mandy Patinkin's Emmys, Golden Globes and Tony Awards are just going to have to be satisfied with The Princess Bride being the highlight of his career.

Jaron

But the Giant is dead. There is not even anyone to take his place...

CGI!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

RIP Andre. :cry:

...and Cary Elwes was in Glory. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2012, 07:32:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2012, 05:56:01 PM
That movie was probably the highlight of the career of everyone involved, with exception of Billy Crystal(not that he's been in better movies, just more prominent roles in them).

:lol:  I think Mandy Patinkin's Emmys, Golden Globes and Tony Awards are just going to have to be satisfied with The Princess Bride being the highlight of his career.

Princess Bride >>>>>>>>>>> Chicago Hope and anything that's ever played on Broadway. And the sword fight between Elwes and Patinkin was probably the best part of the film. Besides, any acting award not named Oscar is about as good as the People's Choice/MTV/Kid's Choice awards he would have gotten if they'd been around back then.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2012, 08:33:12 PM
Princess Bride >>>>>>>>>>> Chicago Hope and anything that's ever played on Broadway. And the sword fight between Elwes and Patinkin was probably the best part of the film. Besides, any acting award not named Oscar is about as good as the People's Choice/MTV/Kid's Choice awards he would have gotten if they'd been around back then.

And you wonder why people refer to where you live as Dumfuckistan.