News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ASU disses Obama

Started by Berkut, May 13, 2009, 11:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Apparently Barack just hasn't accomplished enough quite yet for a honorary degree from a University of the caliber of Arizona State, or as we like to call it in Tucson, Tempe Normal.

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/campuscorrespondent/14810/
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

I think this honorary degree crap is overdone. Certainly there should be something deeper to motivate it than that someone is willing to speak at your university.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 14, 2009, 05:54:00 AM
I think this honorary degree crap is overdone. Certainly there should be something deeper to motivate it than that someone is willing to speak at your university.

It's the only way i'll ever get a degree :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 14, 2009, 05:54:00 AM

Gary Locke spoke at my commencement and I don't think he was awarded one, but then again he was already an alumnus of the school.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

We didn't give one to Oprah. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2009, 02:37:44 PM
We didn't give one to Oprah. :cool:
OMG OMG Oprah spoke at Princesca's graduation too!  Stedman's daughter was in her graduating class.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2009, 02:39:15 PM
OMG OMG Oprah spoke at Princesca's graduation too!  Stedman's daughter was in her graduating class.  :cool:

I had lame ass Dana Gioia. He read a poem and then ranted about supporting the arts. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2009, 02:45:18 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2009, 02:39:15 PM

I had lame ass Dana Gioia. He read a poem and then ranted about supporting the arts. :(

I had Newt Gingrich.  :bleeding:

Savonarola

Quote from: ulmont on May 14, 2009, 02:48:46 PM

I had Newt Gingrich.  :bleeding:

I had Martha Sloan the then President of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.   :)

It might have been a little more special had she not also been a professor at my university.   <_<

At least we didn't have to award her an honorary doctorate. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Reminds me of the story about JFK getting an honorary degree from George Washington Uiversity, where his wife had gotten her degree.  He mentioned the conversation they had had the night before, wherein she bragged that she got her GWU degree many years earlier than him, and he replied, "Yes, but it took you two years.  I bet I can do it in about two minutes!"  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fireblade

Who gives a fuck? He has a degree from Harvard. I'm sure Obama didn't shed too many tears over not getting some worthless piece of paper.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Fireblade on May 14, 2009, 04:38:09 PM
Who gives a fuck? He has a degree from Harvard. I'm sure Obama didn't shed too many tears over not getting some worthless piece of paper.

Seriously. Grad of Harvard, former president of Harvard Law Review... the dude's got more than enough qualifications to keep him afloat.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

I'm sure that all of ASU's honorary degree receipients have accomplished much more than a 4 year stint as a senator, authoring two best sellers, a demonstrated commitment to serving underprivlidged communities through community organizing and practicing civil rights law, a stint as a law professor at the University of Chicago, and election as president of the U.S. Good for ASU for upholding their standards and not allowing their honorary degree program to lose all of its meaning.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

Quote from: alfred russel on May 14, 2009, 05:00:22 PM
I'm sure that all of ASU's honorary degree receipients have accomplished much more than a 4 year stint as a senator, authoring two best sellers, a demonstrated commitment to serving underprivlidged communities through community organizing and practicing civil rights law, a stint as a law professor at the University of Chicago, and election as president of the U.S. Good for ASU for upholding their standards and not allowing their honorary degree program to lose all of its meaning.

As always I liked The Daily Show's take on this. :D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Is it over a political issue, perhaps?  Oxford refused to give Maggie an honorary degree (of some sort or other, she was already an Oxford graduate) because the parliament of the University were opposed to her education policies.
Let's bomb Russia!