News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone for badger?

Started by Gups, September 25, 2012, 12:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Already distraught at the notion of the badgers being culled en masse because of their perceived role in spreading bovine tuberculosis, the nation is now gagging at the suggestion, from celebrity chef Clarissa Dickson Wright that the innocent, stripy-faced animals should be cooked. And eaten. (Small surprise: the former "Fat Lady" has a new book to promote.)

Since 1992 it has been illegal to kill badgers in Britain – so the only way to get hold of one to eat has been by picking one off the road. But if the government's full culling programme goes ahead thousands of badgers could be shot this winter. Meat is getting more expensive after the global grain prices spike of this summer. Wild meats like venison, rabbit, pigeon and, yes, badger and hedgehog, are looking rather tastier.

Arthur Boyt thinks Dickson Wright is talking good gastronomic sense. He has been eating badger most of his life: he stewed up a piece of back meat with the animal's genitals for supper last Thursday. "Dog, especially labrador, is my favourite, but badger makes a pretty good meal." Boyt, a 73-year-old former civil servant and scientist, does not kill animals. All his free meat comes from the roads around his home on Bodmin Moor.

"I'm against the cull," he said, "but it would be ridiculous not to use the dead badgers. I've eaten badger for 55 years and I certainly haven't got TB. As with all meat you just make sure you cook it long and hot enough to kill any bugs."

A badger will make a meal for two, says Boyt, though his wife Sue is a vegetarian. So he often shares the animal with his son and daughter-in-law, who comes from Papua and is used to eating "maggots and grubs." Boyt's favourite part of the animal is the head: "There's five tastes and textures in there, including the tongue, the eyeballs, the muscle ... The salivary glands taste quite different. And of course, the brain. You get that by putting a teaspoon in the hole in the back and rooting around."

To a modern cook, eating badger might sound like a terrible idea, but people who grew up in rural Britain during the second world war remember eating it and there are historic recipes for it from across Europe.

Badger doesn't appear in any of the great 18th century British cookbooks, and though Dickson Wright says the animal has always been a staple, it seems to have been a food only for the poor. But in France blaireau au sang (badger with blood) is a well-remembered recipe. In Italy and the Balkans rural people have a culture of badger-eating. In Russia badgers have been a food and a folk-medicine, their fat a cure for coughs. The Prussians even bred a dog – the dachshund (badger hound) – to hound the poor beasts out of their setts.

There are tales of West Country pubs serving badger ham as a bar snack (although these might be classed with the stories of fermenting the scrumpy with a dead rat). Boyt's usual recipe is simpler. He skins and joints the badger, saves the offal and then makes a traditional casserole, adding whatever vegetables are in the house. No wine, though he may drink a glass with the meal. "I'm a down-to-earth chap – I like simplicity. It's nice meat – why titillate it?"

European recipes for badger often ask you to lay it in running water for several days to get rid of a rank flavour. But Boyt says that's only necessary for fox. And badger, though it doesn't need to be hung, can be eaten when it's "quite green" - that's assuming the diners aren't similarly tinged.

I'm not squeamish about meat - I find the cheaper bits of an animal offally nice and I can't pass up an exotic animal on a menu if I've not tried it before. But labrador roadkill? Digging out badger brain with a teaspoon? W.T.F.

CountDeMoney

We're talking about actual badger badgers, right?  "Badger" isn't some sort of fucked up British vernacular for something else as usual, right?

The Brain

Brits have a weird relationship with the animal world.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2012, 12:23:44 PM
Brits have a weird relationship with the animal world.

You're one to talk.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Some badgers, yesterday. Would feed the 5,000.

Now show me a picture of a beaver. Or the badger gets it.

CountDeMoney

That's a shitload of badgers.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Gups on September 25, 2012, 12:30:37 PM
Now show me a picture of a beaver.

I don't think NSFW pictures are allowed in OTR.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Gups on September 25, 2012, 12:08:10 PM

"I'm against the cull," he said, "but it would be ridiculous not to use the dead badgers.

Don't see any problem with this logic. 

No opinion on the cull itself, as I don't have enough information about the problem.

Gups

And it's the Brits who have fucked up vernacular  :rolleyes:

Gups

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:35:26 PM

"I'm against the cull," he said, "but it would be ridiculous not to use the dead badgers.

No opinion on the cull itself, as I don't have enough information about the problem.

The badgers are spreading TB to cows, lots of cows are having to be put down. Farmers get compensation as usual. Government considers badgers are part of the 47% and need to be culled. But they are cute. So there's some controversy.

Legbiter

Why not, I eat photogenic sea mammals from time to time.

Eat one and report back Gups. Skip the labrador.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Gups

Quote from: Legbiter on September 25, 2012, 12:47:28 PM
Why not, I eat photogenic sea mammals from time to time.

Eat one and report back Gups. Skip the labrador.  ;)

If I find it on a menu, I'll have it. 

My last foray with exotics was the purchase of 2 x camel burgers and 2 x kanegroo burgers, all of which were bbwed. As one would expect, the Aussie meat was superior to the Arab, although the camel had a certain sweetness that some might find pleasant. They both needed a strong wine to stand up to them, I went for a gigondas, whcih did the trick.

dps

Quote from: Gups on September 25, 2012, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:35:26 PM

The badgers are spreading TB to cows, lots of cows are having to be put down. Farmers get compensation as usual. Government considers badgers are part of the 47% and need to be culled. But they are cute. So there's some controversy.

Yeah, I kind of got that from your opening post.  But in the OP, you said that badgers have a "perceived" role in spreading the disease, suggesting that it's not an accepted fact.  I have no idea if they do spread TB to cows or not.

QuoteAnd it's the Brits who have fucked up vernacular 

Was that directed at me?  I don't see anything wrong with the wording in my earlier post.

EDIT:  "bbwed"?

Gups

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:59:12 PM
Yeah, I kind of got that from your opening post.  But in the OP, you said that badgers have a "perceived" role in spreading the disease, suggesting that it's not an accepted fact.  I have no idea if they do spread TB to cows or not.

Me either. In sarf London our beef is with foxes, not badgers.

Was that directed at me? 

No @money