News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

It is really dumb. It is Russia, so I don't see the point of it all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 01:18:16 PM
FFS - I thought that was the Refugee Olympics team and was really pleased how well they're doing (when I wasn't pleasantly surprised to see the Republic of China doing so well) :bleeding: :blush:

Truly an onion of incomprehension :(

You really thought that the refugees were 5th in the medal table?

Until when does the ban last? They already had to pull something similar to this ROC stuff in the last winter olympics, right?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2021, 01:28:26 PM
I was surprised at how little attention the good news/heart-warming story of the summer was getting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 01:34:50 PM
I was surprised at how little attention the good news/heart-warming story of the summer was getting.

One would think Putin's political exiles do nothing but train for the Olympics. Surely the sheer number of athletes involved at least caused you to question this narrative :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

That's an impressive level of self-delusion.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2021, 01:37:00 PM
One would think Putin's political exiles do nothing but train for the Olympics. Surely the sheer number of athletes involved at least caused you to question this narrative :lol:
Look - arguably there were many occassions when I should have put this together earlier. But somehow none of them did until you all kept talking about ROC and Russia :P

QuoteThat's an impressive level of self-delusion.  :P
A blissful and fundamentally happier level of self-delusion. I was a happy pig and now I'm an unhappy human :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2021, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 01:08:26 PM
What's the ROC Russia thing?
ROC = Russian Olympic Committee.  It's a way to allow their doped-up athletes to compete without breaking the ban on Russian participation, as punishing the athletes as a whole for the doping scheme that they participated in was deemed unfair. 

Really, it's a huge propaganda boost to the regime, as every Russian medal is able to be shown as a glorious victory against a world that is oppressing Russia, and they can point to the ban as proof of the perfidy of the Olympic Committee.

OMG A NEIL SIGHTING

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2021, 01:37:00 PM

The refugee Olympic team is composed mostly of Syrians, with Iran and South Sudan being the next countries of origin by number of people, and they all come the Middle East and Africa (except from one Venezuelan), there's not a single Russian exile in the team.

Agelastus

FFS - I thought that was the Refugee Olympics team and was really pleased how well they're doing (when I wasn't pleasantly surprised to see the Republic of China doing so well) :bleeding: :blush:

Oh, I thought you were making a statement by calling the Russian Olympic Committee Team refugees (from Putin's drugs regime etc.)

I actually hadn't heard of the Refugee Olympic Team until this thread. :Embarrass:

Although, the Refugee Team would be ROT, not ROC wouldn't they?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on August 06, 2021, 02:08:35 PM

Oh, I thought you were making a statement by calling the Russian Olympic Committee Team refugees (from Putin's drugs regime etc.)

I actually hadn't heard of the Refugee Olympic Team until this thread. :Embarrass:

Their official acronym is EOR, the French version of ROT.

Sheilbh

:lol: Once again, I cannot emphasise enough how little thought I gave this  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2021, 02:13:34 PM

Their official acronym is EOR, the French version of ROT.

so the refugee team was given a name that sounds like the depressed winnie the poo donkey?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 02:14:05 PM
:lol: Once again, I cannot emphasise enough how little thought I gave this  :Embarrass:

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

ROC is the polite name the Olympic Committee chose for Roided Out Cheats
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

On the one hand sure. Fuck Russia. Cheating arse holes.
But you do have to be fair to those Russian athletes who had nothing to do with this and let them compete.
If only the old Olympics could be possible in the modern day - anyone can show up and take part. Their country is a fun side note rather than a big deal.
Obviously in the modern world this would be a disaster that takes years to get through.
██████
██████
██████