News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 09, 2019, 02:45:02 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:16:56 PM
If American companies want to do business in China, I encourage them to do so. But once they start espousing Chinese values--covertly or overtly--I am not about to purchase anything from them again. I'm happy to help them lose their American market to gain the Chinese.

I understand and applaud the commitment, but that will not change anything.

Yep. The only ones who can really do anything substantial about this are our governments.

I mean I can boycott a few companies who put the Chinese Government before our citizens but not all of them. And again it is not just the Chinese who do this, the Saudis have a lot of money in these media and tech companies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 02:26:52 PM
Now the state is clamping down on the Marxist study groups :lol: :(

I am reminded a bit of Putin's response to the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution: rebelling against the state and great leader is very bad. Look at all the bad stuff that happened.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It would be more reasonable to boycott Chinese companies IMO.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 09, 2019, 02:45:02 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:16:56 PM
If American companies want to do business in China, I encourage them to do so. But once they start espousing Chinese values--covertly or overtly--I am not about to purchase anything from them again. I'm happy to help them lose their American market to gain the Chinese.

I understand and applaud the commitment, but that will not change anything.

Yep. The only ones who can really do anything substantial about this are our governments.

I mean I can boycott a few companies who put the Chinese Government before our citizens but not all of them. And again it is not just the Chinese who do this, the Saudis have a lot of money in these media and tech companies.

No disagreement there. But I can certainly easily avoid companies like Blizzard where my "loss" of their product is trivially replaced with a variety of other entertainment options.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

But the entanglements are really dense - and the variety of other entertainment options that are not enmeshed in love of Chinese money is getting quite thin. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

The best thing to do is to boycott companies whose products you don't like.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Yes. Fuck Ferrari! Those assholes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: PDH on October 09, 2019, 06:02:58 PM
The best thing to do is to boycott companies whose products you don't like.

Done and done!

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

If only there was some sort of massive US-led international trade deal amongst Pacific countries that could counteract the PRC's bullshit.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 10, 2019, 10:10:58 AM
If only there was some sort of massive US-led international trade deal amongst Pacific countries that could counteract the PRC's bullshit.

:hmm: Sounds like a Chinese plot.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 10, 2019, 10:10:58 AM

:)

Syt

ESPN recognizes China's territorial claims?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Taiwan, OK, I get it.
But the South China Sea islands stuff....that's just stupid. Even ignoring that their claim is a load of bollocks...For which other country would you draw a line in the sea like that on a map?  When do you ever see a dotty line covering the Ogasawara Islands for Japan? Never.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2019, 03:10:00 PM
Taiwan, OK, I get it.
But the South China Sea islands stuff....that's just stupid. Even ignoring that their claim is a load of bollocks...For which other country would you draw a line in the sea like that on a map?  When do you ever see a dotty line covering the Ogasawara Islands for Japan? Never.

It appears to be a version of the Nine-Dash line, which China uses to assert sovereignty over the South China Sea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.