Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2019, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 05, 2019, 09:23:49 AM
as long as we buy their stuff I don't think they care how popular they are

Well that is the thing. There are plenty of other places to make that shit, places that will not assault our citizens rights and freedoms and try to control our internal affairs.

but for the same price? I guess we can move to an African country to do it. we've gone through most of the Asian ones.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 05, 2019, 10:25:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2019, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 05, 2019, 09:23:49 AM
as long as we buy their stuff I don't think they care how popular they are

Well that is the thing. There are plenty of other places to make that shit, places that will not assault our citizens rights and freedoms and try to control our internal affairs.

but for the same price? I guess we can move to an African country to do it. we've gone through most of the Asian ones.

Actually the other Asian countries have been happy to get manufacturing back after the tariffs went into effect.

But there is always India and Bangladesh and places like that. Lots of peasants left.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Y'all are missing the point. This stuff doesn't happen because China makes shit, but because they buy it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I read a story about Chinese manufacturing.  I think one of the reasons Chinese manufacturing is essential to the global supply chain is not only because of things like prices, but also because China is pretty much the only place in the world where a company boss has the ability to ring the bell in the middle of the night, wake up the 100,000 factory workers who literally live inside the gigantic factory compound in the middle of the night, and demand that they make sufficient quantities of a, say, specific type of nails that is needed to make a laptop.  And won't suffer any adverse consequences.  The same kind of nails would take a few months to make in the US, whereas it would be a matter of hours in Mainland China. 

Admiral Yi

The organizers of the baking show gave a reason for disqualifying unrelated to political speech.  It's also hard to see what they would have to fear from losing the Chinese market.  I don't think it fits the general pattern.

crazy canuck

Really, why would a baking show feel the need to disqualify innocuous unrelated political speech other then worrying about offending Chinese sensibilities?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2019, 02:21:00 PM
The organizers of the baking show gave a reason for disqualifying unrelated to political speech.  It's also hard to see what they would have to fear from losing the Chinese market.  I don't think it fits the general pattern.

Damn it Sheilbh!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

:lol:

What can I say? At best I read headlines.

But the Global Times is reporting that Chinese netizens are unhappy at the "pro-violence" cakes:
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1169037.shtml
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on November 25, 2019, 08:44:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2019, 03:43:51 PM
Second set of extraordinary leaks on Xinjiang.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/24/china-cables-leak-no-escapes-reality-china-uighur-prison-camp

I wonder why there are leaks and who is responsible for the leaks.

Plumbers.

Or alternatively, decent people can't stand what they're witnessing; kind of like how the holocaust wasn't a keep a secret for too long.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2019, 09:37:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 25, 2019, 08:44:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2019, 03:43:51 PM
Second set of extraordinary leaks on Xinjiang.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/24/china-cables-leak-no-escapes-reality-china-uighur-prison-camp

I wonder why there are leaks and who is responsible for the leaks.

Plumbers.

Or alternatively, decent people can't stand what they're witnessing; kind of like how the holocaust wasn't a keep a secret for too long.

Or some kind of power struggle within the top ranks  This leak weakens Xi. 

Eddie Teach

Plumbers fix leaks, any old fool can create one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on November 25, 2019, 09:53:27 PM
Or some kind of power struggle within the top ranks  This leak weakens Xi. 

Jiang's faction  :ph34r:

It is not exactly shocking though, it reveals just the extent of the attempt to destroy the Uighurs. But that much is clear to anybody with eyes to see.