News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2016, 12:06:28 PM
The military is rarely a popular career option.

'Come live in a barracks where we order you to!'

It's not that bad in China, I don't think - but you have to pay for promotion which kind of sucks.

CountDeMoney

Big deal, so did Wellington.  With Party membership comes Party privilege!

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2016, 08:45:35 PM
Big deal, so did Wellington.  With Party membership comes Party privilege!

The party membership thing is a separate track, this is straight up "pay RMB 200,000 or do not pass". While that may have worked for Wellington - and the PRC equivalents - it may not be as attractive for the hoi polloi. Hence the need for recruitment videos (and it's probably also a good way to funnel some gov't money to the right production companies).

Ed Anger

I offer 10 dollars for the post of Magister Militum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2016, 08:49:28 PM
I offer 10 dollars for the post of Magister Militum.

For $10 you can get something by post from Magister Militum, though I think shipping will be extra: http://www.magistermilitum.com/

FunkMonk

Good news, China watchers. The DoD just released this year's China Military Power Report.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Publications/
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Has Cal gone into the restaurant business?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Apparently Xi's newest initiative involves re-valuating the requirements for the all-important university entrance exams.

Math, science, etc are all being devalued a bit while the importance of political science is valued more.

derspiess

17 year old me would've loved that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2018, 04:39:42 PM
Apparently Xi's newest initiative involves re-valuating the requirements for the all-important university entrance exams.

Math, science, etc are all being devalued a bit while the importance of political science is valued more.

And we were worried.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 03, 2018, 06:59:28 PM
17 year old me would've loved that.

I'm not sure if 17 year old you would have received passing marks in Polisci in China...

derspiess

17 year old Chinese me would have :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 03, 2018, 08:12:09 PM
17 year old Chinese me would have :contract:

Fair.

You know, now that I think about it, you would have made an excellent mid-level local CCP official :hug:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2018, 04:39:42 PM

That sounds like code for (even) more essays about the wonders of Communist Party leader and the brilliance of Xi Thought.