Goodwill Painting Bought for $9.99 Auctioned for $27K

Started by garbon, September 24, 2012, 10:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

It might make it aesthetically appealing or interesting and either quality would disqualify it as art.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2012, 12:19:31 PM
You can't honestly tell me that a giant cat head wouldn't improve that painting.

Yes I can. Mondrian-like paintings suffer when combined with cat lady art.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
It might make it aesthetically appealing or interesting and either quality would disqualify it as art.

:angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Clearly you don't want a cat lady painting a big cat head. That would be folk art, which everyone knows is crap, never gets hung in a proper gallery, and isn't worth the price of the canvas.

You want a real cat head squished onto that painting and left to rot. That would be modern art. Would probably win an art award.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2012, 01:02:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2012, 12:26:40 PM

:angry:

What?  I thought art was supposed to reject these restraining social constructs and reach out to...whatever it is artists are reaching out to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2012, 01:10:13 PM
What?  I thought art was supposed to reject these restraining social constructs and reach out to...whatever it is artists are reaching out to.

I think works like these can be aesthetically appealing and/or interesting...whereas cat portraiture is rarely either.

The Brain

Some posters seem to be stuck in the "man paints = art, woman paints = kitsch" era.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2012, 01:15:37 PM
Some posters seem to be stuck in the "man paints = art, woman paints = kitsch" era.

Nope because swap out and have her husband as the cat artist and I'd say the same thing.

Besides, kitsch and art can happily exist in an artwork. :)

CountDeMoney

garbon