News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 3

Started by MadBurgerMaker, September 20, 2012, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Ah, they did flag the first hit.  I had the game on, but wasn't watching it at the time.

Sophie Scholl

Anyone see if Mundy got fined/suspended for his helmet to helmet hits against the Raiders?  I'm thinking it unlikely since it was the Steelers and not James Harrison. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Strix

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 25, 2012, 06:35:36 PM
Anyone see if Mundy got fined/suspended for his helmet to helmet hits against the Raiders?  I'm thinking it unlikely since it was the Steelers and not James Harrison. <_<

Did Ed Reed? At least Mundy didn't make it look so obvious.  ;)
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Pretty sure Reed didn't launch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Here's the hit on Schaub that got the fine + suspension:

I can't believe he was only out for a play.  That was brutal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 25, 2012, 10:33:04 PM
I can't believe he was only out for a play.  That was brutal.

No shit.  That was beyond vicious.

The part of his ear that was missing was a chunk of his lower ear lobe.  I'm wondering if he was wearing an earring or stud or something.  Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would.

katmai

I give NFL 40 years till it is banned.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 05:14:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 02:34:41 PM
That's outrageous.  He should be suspended through week 9 :angry:
Broncos vs Bengals?  Surely the field will collapse under the weight of all that orange.  Although at least with the Bengals it makes sense.  They're named for tigers.  With the Broncos, the orange alternate jerseys are just there to ensure maximum retinal bleeding.

Will the Broncos be wearing orange jerseys?  Looks like the Bengals are wearing black jerseys for the game.  Hope they wear black pants, too.  IIRC the last time they beat the Broncos they were wearing all black.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

They need to bring back the old Jerseys of the orange crush b
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 10:35:52 PM
The part of his ear that was missing was a chunk of his lower ear lobe.  I'm wondering if he was wearing an earring or stud or something.  Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would.

Doesn't strike me as the earring type either.  Might have gotten ripped out by the chinstrap or something like that because of how the helmet twisted before it came flying off. 

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 25, 2012, 10:41:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 10:35:52 PM

Doesn't strike me as the earring type either.  Might have gotten ripped out by the chinstrap or something like that because of how the helmet twisted before it came flying off.

TV guys, don't remember who, said it was the padding inside the helmet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2012, 10:38:17 PM

One of the talking nerd heads on MSNBC over the weekend made a stupid but a rather interesting point, in the kind of well-if-you-think-about-it-for-a-moment way:  want to slow the game down, make it safer, reduce head trauma? 
Get rid of the helmets.  Worked before.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 10:50:36 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2012, 10:38:17 PM

One of the talking nerd heads on MSNBC over the weekend made a stupid but a rather interesting point, in the kind of well-if-you-think-about-it-for-a-moment way:  want to slow the game down, make it safer, reduce head trauma? 
Get rid of the helmets.  Worked before.

I think you'd have to get rid of astroturf, too.  Though they should do that anyway.

CountDeMoney

QuoteTorrey Smith tweet fallout at crossroads of Web, real life
Johns Hopkins University employee has received online threats, derogatory comments

A Patriots fan's tweet Sunday night — intended for Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith — has ignited a firestorm on the web, raising new questions about the way online discourse intersects with real life.

"Hey, Smith, how about you call your bro and tell him all about your wi--- ohhhh. Wait. #TooSoon?" wrote Baltimore resident Katie Moody, posting as @katiebrady12, as Smith caught two touchdowns in the Ravens' 31-30 win over the Patriots. The game and the Tweet came less than 24 hours after Smith's younger brother Tevin Jones was killed in a motorcycle accident.

The comment immediately elicited angry reaction from Ravens fans and others online. But many went further, calling her vulgar expletives and wishing harm — even rape — upon her. Several commenters posted contact information for Moody's superior at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, where she works as a senior administrative coordinator.

The reaction raises issues of free speech and bears out what one expert calls "a pack mentality" in social media.

"There are no standards for social acceptability for social media," said Kelly McBride, senior faculty member for ethics at Poynter Institute of Media Studies in St. Petersburg, Fla. "It's not unusual at all for people in a virtual environment to form in to some type of group. ... They definitely act with a pack mentality."

Since the initial post, Moody switched her Twitter account to private and declined, through her employer, to comment for this article.

Ben Hebert, a 23-year-old University of Baltimore graduate, posted about the controversy on his website, benhebert.com. Traffic rocketed from an average of 300 pageviews a day to more than 15,000 by noon Monday, crashing his site.

"There were a ton of really terrible [comments] put up. I don't support that," said Hebert, who estimates that he took down 20 responses. "They were more of things about her character — cursing, derogatory female terms."

Numerous web users fired complaints at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, whose spokesman on Tuesday confirmed Moody's identity and employment there.

One employee has received 174 emails since the initial tweet, spokeman Dennis O'Shea said. Asked whether anyone would face disciplinary action, he responded: "I don't think we really have anything to say on this subject."

The initial tweet and another — "The pats may have lost but at least none of them lost a family member. I'd say that's a win" — caught attention from national media. Much of the commentary online was angry but mostly fell within the bounds of reasonable discourse.

"smh [Shakes my head] u are terrible," Ravens running back Ray Rice tweeted. "I hope you know the word karma."

Elsewhere, responses went downhill.

"She may deserve to get fired, and death threats are more understandable than what she did," said one commenter. "She should just move the f--- away from Baltimore before she gets randomly punched in the face."

WNST 1570-AM radio personality Glenn M. Clark, who is no stranger to freedom-of-speech issues, condemned Moody's tweets. In March 2011, Clark, a co-host and the station's manager were named in an $800,000 defamation suit by sports reporter Jennifer Royle that was ultimately dropped.

"In the case of this Tweet, I'm reminded of just how fortunate we are to have the right to freedom of speech, but just how unfortunate it is that some people choose to exercise it at all times," Clark emailed The Sun. "This particular comment ... would be at best in the category of poor taste and more likely in the category of astonishing stupidity."

Moody did, in fact, apologize to followers before and after setting her Twitter account to private:

"I apologized and meant it...I just can't control if people think I'm really sorry," she Tweeted. "I'm currently getting death threats and people posting my home address."

Smith has not publicly acknowledged the Tweet and has requested privacy in the wake of his brother's death.

Discussing the response, Poynter's McBride said, "It's pretty clear that when someone says, 'We should kill this person; someone should rape this person,' it is clear that there is a type of sarcasm that is only understood by the Internet crowd."

Moody tweets

Katie Moody's Twitter page after she privatized her account is filled with apologies and commentary.

•"In the heat of me being upset about NE, I made a horrible joke about Smith's bro and became the most hated person on the web."

•"I apologized and meant it...I just can't control if people think I'm really sorry."

•"Well, I'm currently getting death threats and people posting my home address."

•"I feel like Cady from 'Mean Girls' when she walks into the gymnasium and she knows everyone there is staring and hates her."

•"Cyber Bullying is a new hobby, I guess. :)"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on September 25, 2012, 10:48:56 PM
TV guys, don't remember who, said it was the padding inside the helmet.

Ah okay.  Must have missed that.