The Empire Strikes Back: 1998 Obama Video: ZOMG REDISTRIBUTION!!!1111onesy

Started by CountDeMoney, September 19, 2012, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2012, 01:31:41 PM
Farmers are 2% of the population. How do they have so much political pull?

I think that a disproportionate number of people in Congress own a farm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2012, 02:04:20 PM
They wield disproportionate influence in underpopulated farm states and hence the Senate.

There are also a lot of people (I'd say they even outnumber farmers) who aren't farmers but whose livelihoods are tied to the farming sector.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2012, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2012, 01:31:41 PM
Farmers are 2% of the population. How do they have so much political pull?

I think that a disproportionate number of people in Congress own a farm.

Damn you, Nancy Pelosi.   :mad:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2012, 02:46:53 PM
There are also a lot of people (I'd say they even outnumber farmers) who aren't farmers but whose livelihoods are tied to the farming sector.

No doubt.  But that's still a relatively small number (you don't need that many seed salesmen and John Deere salesmen).

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2012, 02:54:02 PM

No doubt.  But that's still a relatively small number (you don't need that many seed salesmen and John Deere salesmen).

Add to that banks, real estate agencies, veterinarians, and entire towns.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2012, 02:57:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2012, 02:54:02 PM

Add to that banks, real estate agencies, veterinarians, and entire towns.

Yeah, though outside of major cities there are lots of smaller cities and towns that are dependent on one industry, not always agriculture.  For example, there really aren't that many working coal miners in West Virginia anymore, but there are still plenty of localities there where the only reason the town exists is because of the nearby mines.  Or look at a lot of college towns--they wouldn't be there if not for the school.  Here where I live, I suspect that if the Air Force base were shut down, within 20 years the population of Goldsboro would drop by at least 50%.  Heck, DC might revert to swamp if we ever moved the nation's capital to another city.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2012, 08:35:32 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2012, 12:56:22 AM
It was Guller who went ballistic over "whore pills" too. Maybe he's just easily trolled.  :hmm:
I didn't go ballistic, I just don't see the humor in saying something incredibly offensive without in any way coupling it with something amusing (like Seedy always does, for example).  If those are trolls, then they don't strike me as very clever.  :huh:

I'm tired.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.