News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have a development plan?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2012, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Of course! Completely updated and looking good. Doesn't everyone?
I do, but it's seriously in need of updating.
I know that should, but no, I don't.
No need. My career will get where it's going all on its own.
A what?
I have a plan, but it doesn't involve any HR bull-puckey

clandestino

Didn't knew about this and I certainly can see the use of it on a personal level (although it slightly smells of "self-help" stuff).

About the company ones: we don't have one, but I would like to see it... GOAL: getting out of here as soon as possible. if impossible, whatever I do, don't quit it and let them fire me so I can get a few months benefits. :D

HVC

I don't have a clearly defined plan. Basically it goes 1) get my designation 2) transfer my designation to the equivalent australian designation 3) move to Australia 4)?

I'll figure out 4 later lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2012, 09:48:39 PM
Who changed my poll?? :mad:

:blush:

I added that last bullet to separate the vomit-inducing, big company development plan from having a personal career plan.  I have not had the former in over five months, but I have had the latter for about five years.

The former gets such a reaction because an HR-produced development plan is rarely what it says it is.  At best, its a means of guiding the hot shots or chosen ones while placating the masses with the illusion of progress and something to work towards.  At worst, its another item for the folder when the company wants to fire or lay off someone.

Zanza

Working for a really big company I both have a company and a personal development plan.

The former outlines the kind of trainings and projects I should do over the next three years to develop both my professional and leadership skills.
The latter isn't very concrete. But at least my company paid for a two day training session in a nice four star hotel in the Black Forest recently to define it. :yeah:

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 21, 2012, 09:05:46 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2012, 09:48:39 PM
Who changed my poll?? :mad:

:blush:

I added that last bullet to separate the vomit-inducing, big company development plan from having a personal career plan.  I have not had the former in over five months, but I have had the latter for about five years.

The former gets such a reaction because an HR-produced development plan is rarely what it says it is.  At best, its a means of guiding the hot shots or chosen ones while placating the masses with the illusion of progress and something to work towards.  At worst, its another item for the folder when the company wants to fire or lay off someone.

Mostly, though, it's neither--it's just formalism.  There's a policy that says that everyone has to have a development plan on file, so everyone has a development plan on file.  Whether that plan has any actual relation to the employee's goals and ambitions doesn't matter, as long as it's on file.  I bet a lot of them don't even get glanced at, much less actually read.