News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Domination

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2012, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who had the best shot at achieving lasting world hegemony?

Roman Empire - All Roads Lead to Rome
2 (5.4%)
Umayyad Caliphate - Allahu Akbar!
0 (0%)
Song Dynasty - The Middle Kingdom
1 (2.7%)
Mongol Empire - It is not sufficient that I suceed, all others must fail
1 (2.7%)
Ming Empire - The 8th voyage of Admirial Zheng He
0 (0%)
Ottoman Empire - The Eternal State
0 (0%)
Hapsburg Empire - Let others wage war; you, fortunate Austria, marry
1 (2.7%)
Mughal Empire - A king should deem no one his relation
0 (0%)
House of Bourbon - I am the state
0 (0%)
First British Empire - The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire
8 (21.6%)
First French Empire - Liberté, égalité, fraternité
2 (5.4%)
Japanese Empire - All the World Under One Roof
0 (0%)
Third Reich - Deutschland über alles
0 (0%)
Soviet Union - Workers of the World Unite!
0 (0%)
United States of America - An Empire of Liberty
8 (21.6%)
Other
3 (8.1%)
World Domination is Impossible
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2012, 07:46:45 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 07:31:09 PM
So, what? The Northern colonies would support Britain and the South would be crushed.

What about the Western frontier. The next time they fight France and Spain the Americans will overrun Louisiana, Texas and California.
Why would the North turn their back on slavery?  Americans loved slavery.  That was the whole point of your little rebellion.

The problem with the West is that Britain would be likely to treat with the local Indians, whereas the Americans would want to steal their land and murder them.
I also doubt that the North would have kept suffering the repression of its trade and manufacturing under Britain's mercantilist policies.

CountDeMoney

whereas the Americans would want to steal their land and murder them.

Yeah, you Canadians have such a sterling record with them, Duncan Campbell Scott.

Monoriu

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2012, 09:14:30 AM
The Song. The combination of technolgy, liberalism, reason, population, resources would be a winning combination had it not been for the squat ugric chaps on small horses.

The Song is usually considered the weakest of all Chinese dynasties.  The Song was established after the fall of the Tang dynasty.  The Tang fell because it placed too much power in the hands of the border generals, eventually leading to warlordism and rebellions.  The Song learned the lesson.  They centralised power, distrusted their generals and maintained strict civilian control over the military.  They considered it fine if they kept their own generals in line even at the expense of losing the border wars with the nomads. 

I am therefore surprised that the Song is included in the polls.  They spent most of their time defending (and failing to do so).  A better choice is the Tang for this poll.  They extended to Central Asia on several occasions. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2012, 08:47:18 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2012, 09:14:30 AM
The Song. The combination of technolgy, liberalism, reason, population, resources would be a winning combination had it not been for the squat ugric chaps on small horses.

The Song is usually considered the weakest of all Chinese dynasties.  The Song was established after the fall of the Tang dynasty.  The Tang fell because it placed too much power in the hands of the border generals, eventually leading to warlordism and rebellions.  The Song learned the lesson.  They centralised power, distrusted their generals and maintained strict civilian control over the military.  They considered it fine if they kept their own generals in line even at the expense of losing the border wars with the nomads. 

I am therefore surprised that the Song is included in the polls.  They spent most of their time defending (and failing).  A better choice is the Tang for this poll.  They extended to Central Asia on several occasions.
The Song are highly regarded in the West for their technological innovations. Without the Mongols, some believe they would have went through the equivalent of a renaissance and industrial revolution first.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2012, 08:47:18 PM
A better choice is the Tang for this poll.

Or cream of sum yung gai.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2012, 08:02:35 PM
whereas the Americans would want to steal their land and murder them.

Yeah, you Canadians have such a sterling record with them, Duncan Campbell Scott.
I'm just saying, the early Americans were Nazis.  If the Germans had won World War II, in a century they'd be electing Barry Obamawitz for Fuhrer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Also, I was the one who voted 'other' and made Tim angry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2012, 09:00:05 PM

I figured it was Ed, and "Other" meant "Ohio State".

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 08:50:22 PM
The Song are highly regarded in the West for their technological innovations. Without the Mongols, some believe they would have went through the equivalent of a renaissance and industrial revolution first.
But then they'd invent the automobile and kill themselves.  There's a reason for the Asian driver stereotype.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2012, 09:01:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2012, 09:00:05 PM

I figured it was Ed, and "Other" meant "Ohio State".

Brutus would have smashed the Muslim with a power I formation.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Woody Hayes would never have surrendered Jerusalem.  Not to Saladin, and certainly not to Schembechler.

Ed Anger

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2012, 08:50:22 PM

Even without the Mongols, the Song managed to lose their capital, their emperor, almost the entire court, and half their country.  They lost the remaining half when the Mongols came along.

Look at the maps.  See the greatest extent of the Tang, and the greatest extent of the Song.  Chinatown in overseas cities are literally called the "Tang people's streets", not the "Song people's streets". 

Eddie Teach

Brutus would get eaten by a wild animal or carried off to sea.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

All this tang talk has made me thirsty.