News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Domination

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2012, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who had the best shot at achieving lasting world hegemony?

Roman Empire - All Roads Lead to Rome
2 (5.4%)
Umayyad Caliphate - Allahu Akbar!
0 (0%)
Song Dynasty - The Middle Kingdom
1 (2.7%)
Mongol Empire - It is not sufficient that I suceed, all others must fail
1 (2.7%)
Ming Empire - The 8th voyage of Admirial Zheng He
0 (0%)
Ottoman Empire - The Eternal State
0 (0%)
Hapsburg Empire - Let others wage war; you, fortunate Austria, marry
1 (2.7%)
Mughal Empire - A king should deem no one his relation
0 (0%)
House of Bourbon - I am the state
0 (0%)
First British Empire - The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire
8 (21.6%)
First French Empire - Liberté, égalité, fraternité
2 (5.4%)
Japanese Empire - All the World Under One Roof
0 (0%)
Third Reich - Deutschland über alles
0 (0%)
Soviet Union - Workers of the World Unite!
0 (0%)
United States of America - An Empire of Liberty
8 (21.6%)
Other
3 (8.1%)
World Domination is Impossible
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Phillip V

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 16, 2012, 01:44:37 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 09:35:59 AM
The United States has not reached its full potential yet. If it becomes less white and increases its birth/immigration rate (while the rest of the world gets Americanized / speaks English), the U.S. can become better positioned to achieve world domination.

Man, i'm, on Neil with this one. Becoming less White is the most foolhardy roadmap for success I've yet heard.
It's easier to control and assimilate foreign brown people when you have American brown people.

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 01:53:41 PM
It's easier to control and assimilate foreign brown people when you have American brown people.
Not at all.  In fact, it becomes much, much more difficult.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

A big part of the reason Imperialism was so successful is brown people bought into the idea that white people were different, superior, godlike. This is a tough sell for someone who looks just like you do.

When God stopped all the burning bushes and pillars of fire and said "Hey! I'll look just like a typical JEW" they nailed his ass to a cross real quick. Same concept, only without divinity.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Phillip V

Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2012, 02:09:25 PM
A big part of the reason Imperialism was so successful is brown people bought into the idea that white people were different, superior, godlike. This is a tough sell for someone who looks just like you do.

When God stopped all the burning bushes and pillars of fire and said "Hey! I'll look just like a typical JEW" they nailed his ass to a cross real quick. Same concept, only without divinity.
That was a big reason why imperialism was so successful in the past. Now, similar looks and understanding of subjugated culture/language is needed. Otherwise, Iraq and Afghanistan should be bending over for us right now.

Jaron

Poor examples. They aren't blowing people up because they're white. If you look at Africa though, those villagers are in awe of Sally Struthers.

Phillip V

Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2012, 02:36:59 PM
Poor examples. They aren't blowing people up because they're white. If you look at Africa though, those villagers are in awe of Sally Struthers.
Africans are in awe of Sally Stuthers because she is fat and they want to eat her.

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 02:31:53 PM

That was a big reason why imperialism was so successful in the past. Now, similar looks and understanding of subjugated culture/language is needed. Otherwise, Iraq and Afghanistan should be bending over for us right now.
Not at all.  They're just stronger than you.  They're willing to fight for years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 02:31:53 PM

Not at all.  They're just stronger than you.  They're willing to fight for years.
There is both hard power and soft power. For example, if we decided to indoctrinate Afghan children, making them literate and Americanized, it is just not possible because we lack the human capital.

Razgovory

Also it's hard to get Basic Cable in a mud hut.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Afghanistan would be better if we let (and encouraged) American soldiers to intermarry with the Afghan women.

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 03:05:22 PM
Afghanistan would be better if we let (and encouraged) American soldiers to intermarry with the Afghan women.

You'd have few takers I think.  Besides, why the hell would we want to rule other countries?  Almost every country in the world trades with us and nearly everyone abides by the world system the US put into place.  I'm happy with that.  The great up and coming power, China, isn't interested in overturning the system, but to rise with in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

The problem with that is that they'd be bringing their wives back to the US rather than settling in Afganistan.  After all, the US will be out of Afghanistan soon enough, and then everybody who collaborated is going to get killed.

Jaron

That and Afghan women are ugly.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2012, 03:33:58 PM
That and Afghan women are ugly.
Afghan men do seem to like chopping off noses and ears.

Lettow77

Afghanistan women can make fine wives; I have a few sources.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'