News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flight of the Beet Wagon (FTL AAR).

Started by Syt, September 16, 2012, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Easy is a little too easy up to the last boss. I cruised down everything until then where I got my ass kicked. I barely had to upgrade my weapons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I thought I was on my way to glory in the Engi ship, after I found a second drone, which had a beam laser. Those two and the ion cannon were pretty successful, until I encountered two enemies with the scatter or whatever lasers. God damn fast-firing pieces of shit zerg-rushed my upgraded shields with a volley of low-damage shots. Plus the second one I think had some incendiary weapon because my ship became a flaming wreck with most rooms ablaze by the time my HP neared red levels.

Fuck this game. I just can't stop having it pwn me with these random overpowered ships.

Syt

I had a pretty good run with the Engi ship all the way into Sector 6. I had two drones (cannon+beam), plus iron cannon, plus beam cannon, and a bomb teleporter. Drive and all were upgraded for 43% evasion, level 2 shields, with top level crew at helm, shields, weapons, and a green one on the drives. Some close calls where half the ship was burning, but doing pretty well, with four weapons active most of the time.

Until I jumped into a nebula where my reactor's output dropped by 50% and I got raped by an enemy with dual missile launcher. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

:bleeding:

one thing is sure, one must loiter in the early sectors as long as the enemy advance lets him, to rake up money.

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on September 19, 2012, 02:22:02 AM
God damn fast-firing pieces of shit zerg-rushed...

That's your excuse for every game.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on September 19, 2012, 08:56:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 19, 2012, 02:22:02 AM
God damn fast-firing pieces of shit zerg-rushed...

That's your excuse for every game.

:lol:

packing so many shots per second into a single gun is cheating.

garbon

Sounds like none of you are Captain Janeway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Syt

I prefer my Starfleet captains with a MUCH smaller dose of crazy. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2012, 12:23:57 PM

A space station isn't really comparable to a ship on a long journey in hostile territory. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2012, 12:23:57 PM

A space station isn't really comparable to a ship on a long journey in hostile territory. :P

A ship that she stranded either wilfully because she's a sadist bitch or because she's incompetent.

I subscribe to SF Debris' point of view myself :P
http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v801.asp
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

RPS have started their own AAR:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/19/ftl-diary/

QuoteThese are the voyages of the starship Moggy, crewed by a brave band of humans and aliens named after cats that I have known. This was an egregious mistake, as seeing my childhood pets burned, asphyxiated and lasered to death almost immediately proved traumatic. Still, we exist not merely within a universe, but a multiverse. One crew of feline-named space travellers might meet their tragic doom, but perhaps, in a parallel existence, another band of desperate starfarers might just have succeeded... (Of course they didn't. This is FTL. But the multiverse does at least allow for the story to be told anew).

Jump 1

Ripley, to the cockpit! Tacky*, to the engineroom! Bonz, you're on shields!

We're in an Engi ship, a squareish hulk that lacks any raw firepower but does carry a shield-bypassing Ion Blast that causes no damage but can temporarily deactivate an enemy system, (hopefully) leaving my expendable attack auto-drone to dish out the real damage. It's a complicated and risky system, sacrificing fine control but it does leave me able to disable enemy shields and a little more freed up to manage my crew and any emergencies on my ship.

OK team, you ready for this? It's a long haul across unfriendly space to the welcoming territories of the Federation, to which we must deliver vital information, and we'll be harassed by murderous rebels, sinister aliens, solar flares and meteor storms all the way. But we can do it, right? Right? Don't answer that. Just... Jump.

(AAR continues on their page)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Alexandru H.

You've forgotten to show the epic battle of the Beet Wagon crew against the forces of Evil Soap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iiTE3tfe7qM