News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flight of the Beet Wagon (FTL AAR).

Started by Syt, September 16, 2012, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

You had to save the ship in order to destroy it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

SECTOR 5 - Mantis Homeworlds

The Mantis are hostile, but hopefully the Rebels won't be too keen to enter here.

Jump 29

We're greeted by a Rebel Fighter. It's considerably stonger than the scouts and sentries we met so far. Worst of all, sensors indicate it has transporters, so its crew might try to board us!

Sure enough, two hostiles beam over and try to take out our weapons consoles. We order Alexandru and Martinus to the bow and vent the area the intruders are in. They take out our weapons and move on the sensors.

We think the hostiles haved died, but not before taking out the internal sensors. Tamas and Alexandru rush to bring the weapons back online!

It turns out the enemies are alive and well. Alexandru tries to get to safety while running to safety!

Mart and Tamas strugle to get weapons back online - another direct hit sets the whole area ablaze!

Alexandru rushes for the pilot's seat, hoping he can computer the jump out just in time . . .

. . . but another hit and this is how the Beet Wagon and the last, best hope of the Federation dies . . .

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Excellent AAR!  I enjoyed it immensely.  It was so well-done, I think I would have enjoyed it even had toon-Marti, toon-Tamas, and toon-Alexandru survived.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Good stuff Syt.  I have been looking at this game for a while now and will be getting it eventually.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

And that is why you don't depend on eastern Europeans.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Razgovory

Well at least you took the Rebels who boarded your ship with you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Jaron

Berkut

You really should try it with the Languish A-team instead of the guys who have proven their total incapability in getting anything done.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Thanks, all.

The game is,a s Tamas says, kind of addicting, but tough, as a lot of the gameplay depends on luck - the encounters are drawn at random based on the sector you're in, and you may have smooth sailing for a while but no chance to buy better weapons till you meet a foe that has you laughably outmatched. You can unlock better ships/crew over time, though.

Also, there's a few risk/reward mechanics going on. Distress calls can be easy (just show up, collect reward), difficult (having to beat an enemy, or it was a trap), and just mean (having a random crew member succumb to a lethal disease). Do you explore a few more systems, hoping the Rebels won't catch up? Of course that means more chances of being destroyed, but also more chances for upgrades and equipment.

What I'm really struggling with are boarding parties. In a 1-1 fight, my crewmen usually lose with the enemy still at 50% or more health. In a 2-1 fight, we can take him down, but chances are I still lose one crew member. The only fight I've won was by running up to the cockpit and venting the rest of the ship. By the time the enemies reached my guys they were at below half health. My crew knocked them out, but they were at 15 and 25% health respectively.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould