News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Want to buy a BBQ smoker

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 13, 2012, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 01:35:27 PM
My "smoker" is just my gas grill.  I don't think the walls were particularly thick.  Temperature wasn't too far from freezing in the early morning, but probably came up to 10-15C by mid-afternoon.

Lust is probably right here; you either need to adjust the heat up or plan for a longer smoke time.  Smoking in the winter/early spring in the north is tricky especially if you don't have a proper smoker. If you're in that situation again just put it in the oven for a couple hours at 120 C.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Unless I am missing it you didn't tell us what temp you tried to do the smoke at so... what temp did you set your grill at?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2016, 02:44:04 PM
Unless I am missing it you didn't tell us what temp you tried to do the smoke at so... what temp did you set your grill at?

Well I used to have a nice thermometer I could just put right on the grill to measure... but I couldn't find it.  So I was using the thermometer built into the top of the grill.  It was showing around 250-280, which is hotter than I would want it, but I was pretty sure that since heat rises the top was hotter than where the air actually hit the meat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Yeah man, you need to get a probe-style thermometer and stick it right into the pork butt.  The dial thermometers just won't work for something like a smoke that is low and slow.  I have one that has a wireless receiver and two probes, and I put one into the center of the cut and the other one I clip to the grill surface to measure ambient temp in my BGE.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2016, 03:25:24 PM
Yeah man, you need to get a probe-style thermometer and stick it right into the pork butt.  The dial thermometers just won't work for something like a smoke that is low and slow.  I have one that has a wireless receiver and two probes, and I put one into the center of the cut and the other one I clip to the grill surface to measure ambient temp in my BGE.

Well I did have a probe thermometer in the meat.  It's just I couldn't get a temperature for the grill and was eyeballing it.

Okay, so if I try again I'll do it more in the summer, and I'll be sure to have a proper thermometer. :thumbsup:

I know, I know, a BGE would be awesome.  My dad has one and I'm jealous.  But it's just not super practical for the handful of times per year I'd ever get to use it.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 03:29:32 PM
Okay, so if I try again I'll do it more in the summer, and I'll be sure to have a proper thermometer. :thumbsup:
Smoking in the dead of winter should be fine as long as you can get the temp to 200-250 (I ordinarily smoke pork butts at 225) and hold it there.  I do it year-round.  Of course, it's not nearly as cold where I live, but I think you should still be able to do it.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2016, 03:52:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 03:29:32 PM
Smoking in the dead of winter should be fine as long as you can get the temp to 200-250 (I ordinarily smoke pork butts at 225) and hold it there.  I do it year-round.  Of course, it's not nearly as cold where I live, but I think you should still be able to do it.

I proudly grill year round, but trying to grill when it's, say, -20C is very challenging.  The differential in heat between the middle of the grill and the edge, or from on the grill to above it, becomes huge.  I would not even attempt to smoke something here in the winter.

Caliga

Come to think of it, it might be kind of tough if you don't have a smoker made of thick ceramic like a BGE or another kamado-style smoker.

MadImmortalMan

The CharGriller isn't ceramic but it works great even in the cold.

Before I got a proper smoker, I actually found lower-temp cooking easier in the winter on the regular grill. The ambient cold keeps the temp from creeping up too high. Unless it just flares because it gets too much air. It's hard to control that if it's windy here. Which is often.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 02:57:44 PM
Well I used to have a nice thermometer I could just put right on the grill to measure... but I couldn't find it.  So I was using the thermometer built into the top of the grill.  It was showing around 250-280, which is hotter than I would want it, but I was pretty sure that since heat rises the top was hotter than where the air actually hit the meat.

250 - 280 is fine, assuming your grill thermometer was accurate.  I usually shoot for 275.

The big problem with gas grills is airflow.  Smokers and charcoal grills create convection currents that help cook the food faster at a given temperature.