News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Want to buy a BBQ smoker

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 13, 2012, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I've had an 8 pound pork butt in the smoker since 5:40 AM this morning. :mmm:

Just probed it and it's at 190 F right now, which is good because me so hungry.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Caliga

Pulled pork was the shiznit.  I screwed up two things (bark wasn't blackened/hard enough and wasn't quite smoky enough) and it still came out better than at most BBQ joints.  I have had better, but this was close to that.  It damn well better have been since the total cook time was almost 16 hours. :D

Caliga

Oh, MiM, I got one of these at Homo Depot yesterday:

Weber 6312.  It was only ten bucks and it calibrated perfectly (read ice water as 33F, boiling water as 211F).  Pretty quick read time too.

Caliga

Got an 8 lb pork butt on the smoker for tomorrow when my parents get here.  Since I last posted I have gotten:

1.  A supplemental/cold smoke box with its own heating element and massive wood chip capacity (loaded with hickory right now)
2.  Silicone five finger BBQ gloves
3.  A Maverick ET-732 wireless dual probe thermometer.

Got one of the probes in the center of the butt and the other clipped to the grill rack to measure ambient temp.  I was pleased to discover my smoker's built in thermostat is highly accurate based on the ambient probe reading.

Am I: hardcore.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Rasputin

I really like the propane rectangle with the wood chop box. I have had three over the years. Low and slow for the win. The egg is pretty amazing as well. Get the smoker plate. It works well.

Who is John Galt?

Caliga

Oh yeah, I'll probably be smoking this butt for 16 hours or so. :cool:

I'll probably get a BGE eventually but I love the electric smoker I have.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on December 26, 2014, 10:20:06 PM
Oh yeah, I'll probably be smoking this butt for 16 hours or so. :cool:

I'll probably get a BGE eventually but I love the electric smoker I have.

WTF?  I have never had pork go that long.  Mine take 6 - 8 hours.

Caliga

Low and slow. :)

What temp do you do it at?  I've done this smoke (which is still going) at 210-225 most of the way.  I started inching it up to be sure it'll be ready in time for dinner.