News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Want to buy a BBQ smoker

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 13, 2012, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I have to report I have been grilling/smoking just about every day. Steaks, chicken, pork, burgers, veggies, etc...

I think tonight I will do some pinchos, (kabobs for you non-spics).

Should I make a spiced rum bbq sauce? I mean, some rum and coke for me, some for the sauce sounds good to me. :beer:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 18, 2016, 12:00:09 PM
I have to report I have been grilling/smoking just about every day. Steaks, chicken, pork, burgers, veggies, etc...

I think tonight I will do some pinchos, (kabobs for you non-spics).

Should I make a spiced rum bbq sauce? I mean, some rum and coke for me, some for the sauce sounds good to me. :beer:

That does sound good; especially if you used cola as the sweetening agent and lime juice to give it some tartness.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

If I drink enough rum and coke before I cook it, I won't care how good it will turn out. :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 18, 2016, 02:31:38 PM
If I drink enough rum and coke before I cook it, I won't care how good it will turn out. :hmm:

Even better   :)

Steven Raichlen talks about lemon-lime soda being used as a base for barbecue sauce in Puerto Rico.  Is that authentic, or just something he dreamed up?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Quote from: Savonarola on March 18, 2016, 02:37:27 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 18, 2016, 02:31:38 PM

Even better   :)

Steven Raichlen talks about lemon-lime soda being used as a base for barbecue sauce in Puerto Rico.  Is that authentic, or just something he dreamed up?

Not sure (may have to research), but I can verify that the culinary arts in the island can be very creative, and lemon/lime is used for quite a bit. I have used it myself.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 18, 2016, 02:50:15 PM
Not sure (may have to research), but I can verify that the culinary arts in the island can be very creative, and lemon/lime is used for quite a bit. I have used it myself.

Thanks  :)

lustindarkness

Well traffic sucked and everyone was "starving" by the time I got home, and it was raining,  so just grilled them with regular BBQ sauce and I'm drinking the rum and coke. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Jaron

IF you want a smoker, get a green egg.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on March 19, 2016, 01:24:12 AM
IF you want a smoker, get a green egg.

Try it, try it, and you'll see.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2016, 01:45:43 PM
Is this how it works?  :w00t:

Yes.  I aim it at the stone and then say "What the hell are you", and the stone says the same thing in response. :)

Doing a ham jambalaya tonight in the egg. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

So, yesterday was the last day of a four day weekend, and my birthday to boot.  I had some time, so I decide I'm going to try my hand at some slow-cooked pulled pork.  I don't have a smoker, but I do have a propane grill and a bunch of wood chips, so I decide to give it a go.  I get up at 5:30 am, get the meat on the grill by 6:30am.

I keep checking on it every hour or two during the day.  The meat is coming along, but by 4 or so I pull out a meat thermometer and it's not done.  140F internal temperature, when it should be minimum 160F, and more like 190F for pulling.  So for about the final hour I crank the heat and cover it with foil.

I manage to get it cooked enough to be edible, and it still taste pretty decent, put the meat has to be cut, not pulled.  It's moderately tender but not fall apart at a touch tender.

So, barbecue snobs, what did I do wrong here?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 01:17:57 PM
So, yesterday was the last day of a four day weekend, and my birthday to boot.  I had some time, so I decide I'm going to try my hand at some slow-cooked pulled pork.  I don't have a smoker, but I do have a propane grill and a bunch of wood chips, so I decide to give it a go.  I get up at 5:30 am, get the meat on the grill by 6:30am.

I keep checking on it every hour or two during the day.  The meat is coming along, but by 4 or so I pull out a meat thermometer and it's not done.  140F internal temperature, when it should be minimum 160F, and more like 190F for pulling.  So for about the final hour I crank the heat and cover it with foil.

I manage to get it cooked enough to be edible, and it still taste pretty decent, put the meat has to be cut, not pulled.  It's moderately tender but not fall apart at a touch tender.

How thick are the walls of your smoker and what was the outside air temperature?  It can take considerably longer to smoke on a cold day especially if you have a smoker with thin walls.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on March 29, 2016, 01:34:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 01:17:57 PM

How thick are the walls of your smoker and what was the outside air temperature?  It can take considerably longer to smoke on a cold day especially if you have a smoker with thin walls.

My "smoker" is just my gas grill.  I don't think the walls were particularly thick.  Temperature wasn't too far from freezing in the early morning, but probably came up to 10-15C by mid-afternoon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Sounds like you were not getting the grill to temp? I'm still learning, so I can't help you much.

Yesterday I put in some thin tilapia filets on my stone pan with some adobo and a bunch of butter, smoked at @225 for @45-55 minutes. YUM!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom