And we're back!

Main Menu

Purple Haze.

Started by mongers, September 13, 2012, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I was looking for a particular war photographer, and came across this blog:
http://dogatemytank.tumblr.com/

It seems to be dominated by American photographs from Vietnam and to a lesser extent Korea and WW2.

Some interesting photos, though slightly annoying as I can't seem to see the tags or if there are any attributes or mention of the context and origins of the war photo-journalism, but none the less some startling images.

For some reason it's called dog ate my tank, and is run by a young Polish woman whose into wargaming and ancient history.

I rather 'like' this one:

I guess it might be from the Anglo-French intervention in Norway 1940 or perhaps Italy 43 or NW Europe in the winter of 1944-5

Anyone else got a 'favourite' war photograph, please post it.

edit:
there are more modern images, like this one, which I presume is from Afghanistan.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Id guess Vietnam, but since I don't know anything about US equipment, it could possibly be even WW2 pacific.

mongers

More Vietnam, Americans and Vietnamese civilians:

mongers

I'd guess the Tet Offensive attack on the US embassy in Saigon:

edit:
turns out some of the photos do have tags in the meta-file info:

A machine gunner with the 7th Marines takes a break during Operation Meade River near the city of Da Nang, November 1968

KRonn

Agreed, some very interesting pics. 

CountDeMoney

8th Army chaplain plays the violin for HQ staff somewhere west of El Alamein.

mongers

'Cool dube' with a M79 grenade launcher:

I'd guess Australian soldiers in Vietnam:

Taking cover:

mongers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2012, 08:01:33 PM
Ugh. Westmorland.

Talk about the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Should've given the whole shebang to Brute Krulak instead.  He'd have taken care of business.

Ed Anger

Well, I'm gonna have to watch Green Berets again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Helicopters.

This must be from the very early days, before the Hueys arrived, I'm guessing it's a H21, shot down or maybe crash landed and perhaps the soldier/airman is sprinting because it might catch fire or maybe he's rigged it to explode:

Hueys:

Are these ARVN allies, rather than Americans, as they seem rather lightly loaded:

edit:
Image metafile says " Vietnamese soldiers of the 21st Recon Company rush to board waiting Huey choppers in the rice paddies near their forward command post in South Vietnam on Nov. 14, 1969. The men are to be transported into the interior of the U-Minh forest, the large marshy and swamp and forest area at the southern tip of Vietnam, long considered to be a VC strong-hold. For the previous month, an all Vietnamese operation called "Operation u-minh" had been attempting to drive the VC and NVA regulars from the area. It was the second such operation within the year. (AP Photo)

A skycrane delivering 105/155 howitzers:

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2012, 08:12:14 PM
Well, I'm gonna have to watch Green Berets again.

Here, this one could almost be a 'publicity still' from the film, it looks to be of the same era, the sign says 1966:

mongers

Almost looks posed, but I guess it isn't.  The colours seem very evocative :

This one has a foreground, background and some action in the middle distance ! I'm guessing the guy are leaning on the recovered helo rotas:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 08:24:56 PM
The colours seem very evocative :

Yes, it's called "film".  Something the Facepage Tweeter generation no longer knows about anymore.