News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 2: Damned activist judges

Started by CountDeMoney, September 13, 2012, 07:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ravens, Pats lose, Steelers win. Good Sunday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

I used to think I was good at fantasy football, then I got my ass kicked by a Canadian and then a Euro. :(

Grey Fox

Woha, my team sucks.

Especially my RBs, where are all the good RBs this year?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Here you go, Longhorns;  No. 4 from "Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 24-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles"

QuoteThe decision to go with a talented, young kicker in Justin Tucker appears to have been a wise one.

As the Ravens attempted to move the ball down the field in the final two minutes of Sunday's 24-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, rookie kicker Justin Tucker warmed up his right leg and relaxed his mind on the sideline. He had already made three field goals, including a 56-yarder that tied for the longest in franchise history, and with the way the undrafted rookie from Texas has been kicking over the past six weeks, you have to figure the Ravens would have liked their chances of stealing a victory if they could have gotten Tucker within 60 yards of the uprights. But the drive stalled and Tucker didn't get his opportunity to try his first do-or-die kick in the NFL, but he said he believes that he could connect from beyond 60 yards "on a really good day."

I know his career is still in its infancy, but it looks like there are going to be a lot of really good days in this quirky kid's future. If he continues to make long field goals with ease and boom touchbacks out of the back of the end zone, we will soon stop talking about whether the Ravens did the right thing by going with Tucker over former Pro Bowl kicker Billy Cundiff. Instead, we will be asking why Tucker was available to compete with Cundiff in the first place.

Composed young kickers are hard to come by, and Tucker has a different air about him than Steve Hauschka and Graham Gano did three years ago. He is very confident, but not too cocky, and seems very comfortable in his own skin, whether he is impersonating Christopher Walken in front of his new teammates or sitting cross-legged on the locker room floor as reporters conduct interviews around him. Tucker also has a big leg and is accurate from long range, giving the Ravens a dimension they lacked with Cundiff, who was 1-for-6 on 50-yarders a season ago. Tucker has already made two field goals from beyond 50 yards and four from beyond 45 yards.

Of course, the Ravens won't really know what they have in Tucker until he lines up, crosses his heart like he does before every kick, and swings his right leg at a football with the game on the line. Then they will know what he is built like on the inside. But it's clear he has a ton of talent and plenty of confidence. Maybe it wasn't that risky to put their faith in a rookie kicker after all.

frunk

All of my players except two scored at least four points below projected.  That's impressive.

Barrister

Who is York White Boars?  They need Jacob Tamme to score 9 or more points tonight or else I win the game...  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2012, 02:03:56 PM
Who is York White Boars?  They need Jacob Tamme to score 9 or more points tonight or else I win the game...  :ph34r:

Benedict Arnold, I thought?

Sophie Scholl

:ph34r:  So it was written, so it shall come to pass...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Forgot to mention that my brother & I took our wives out for a rare night out Friday, and we ran into Hue Jackson at one of the new places down on the Cincinnati side of the river. 

My wife, clueless as ever, asked him "Are you like a coach or sometheeng?"

To which he replied "Uh, yeah, more or less." 

I felt a little awkward.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 02:39:42 PM
Orakpo out for the season  :(

His schedule is clear to do more Geico commercials.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2012, 02:42:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 02:39:42 PM
Orakpo out for the season  :(

His schedule is clear to do more Geico commercials.
I'm sure Geico already has another 57 gimmicks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker