And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 06:00:56 PMIt's like taking a moral stand against gravity.
No, it's like taking a moral stand against a cruel, totalitarian despot.
But not exactly.  A despot is just a man who thinks he's a god.  A true god really is better than any man, or all men.  A god is totalitarian by his nature. because he is all that is.  A god is cruel by his nature, because he defines what is and isn't just.  When you're the universe, and it conforms to your whim, no man is fit to judge you.

Taking a stand where you can't make any difference and where your punishment will be unending isn't noble or brave.  It's madness.

Isn't that how Ancient Greek religion worked? All their Gods were dicks, and they knew it, but they worshiped them anyways in order to avoid punishment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 11:26:53 PM
Sigh.  No.  One does not need to believe in predestination to think that rebelling against God is a bad idea.  Jake already doesn't believe in God, so it's a moot point.  His reasoning strikes me as bizarre though, God will reward me if I do the opposite of what he says because I'm staying true to my own moral code that I just made up.

Yeah it's hard to tell if he's being serious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2012, 11:28:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 06:00:56 PMIt's like taking a moral stand against gravity.
But not exactly.  A despot is just a man who thinks he's a god.  A true god really is better than any man, or all men.  A god is totalitarian by his nature. because he is all that is.  A god is cruel by his nature, because he defines what is and isn't just.  When you're the universe, and it conforms to your whim, no man is fit to judge you.

Taking a stand where you can't make any difference and where your punishment will be unending isn't noble or brave.  It's madness.

Isn't that how Ancient Greek religion worked? All their Gods were dicks, and they knew it, but they worshiped them anyways in order to avoid punishment.

We don't have complete information on Greek ideas about the afterlife, but what we do have suggests that it was believed to a pretty dreary place at best regardless of how virtuous or immoral you had been in life.  The Greeks seemed to worship their gods more to avoid being killed and sent to the afterlife sooner than expected than to receive any reward there.

DGuller

If God wanted us to believe in his existence, he wouldn't have given us free will.

PDH

Quote from: dps on September 26, 2012, 12:30:49 AM
We don't have complete information on Greek ideas about the afterlife, but what we do have suggests that it was believed to a pretty dreary place at best regardless of how virtuous or immoral you had been in life.  The Greeks seemed to worship their gods more to avoid being killed and sent to the afterlife sooner than expected than to receive any reward there.

That sounds a bit more Ancient Middle Eastern than Greek.  Sure, the Greek Gods were dicks at times, but they also extended protection and gave aid - even if they also had a pretty severe desire to enforce traditional mores.  While the afterlife seems to have been dull, the gods were not always the evil 10 year olds that the Sumerians seemed to have feared.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2012, 08:37:39 AM
If God wanted us to believe in his existence, he wouldn't have given us free will.

Not sure what this statement has to do with anything. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 04:05:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 04:03:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 04:01:54 PMSeems to me that if you believed a god exists and you think a god is monstrous, you'd be better served by obeying.

Screw that.

Really? I mean I guess one could take some sort of moral stand but it seems like one would want to avoid the wrath of said god which would likely be incurred by ignoring the god's commands.

Are you that uneducated? That dilemma is one of the most common motifs in the Western philosophical and artistic thought, yet you are acting as if the idea was a novel one.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 05:23:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 04:01:54 PMSeems to me that if you believed a god exists and you think a god is monstrous, you'd be better served by obeying.
Screw that.
:lol:

That's easy for you to say, coming from a place where we've disproved the existence of gods.

"Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven" is not the stance of an atheist.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 09:05:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 04:05:09 PM

Screw that.

Really? I mean I guess one could take some sort of moral stand but it seems like one would want to avoid the wrath of said god which would likely be incurred by ignoring the god's commands.

Are you that uneducated? That dilemma is one of the most common motifs in the Western philosophical and artistic thought, yet you are acting as if the idea was a novel one.  :huh:

Says the bumpkin to the Stanford grad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 06:53:58 PM

Would appear an irrelevant moral stand as you'd have no hope of making change. Even if everyone stood up, said god could just wipe you all out and start fresh.

So according to you a moral stand is justified only when it is effective? Where did you learn your morals, son? From Ayn Rand?

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 07:12:06 PM
Well, so far I'm not being punished

I'd reconsider if I were you. You are arguing with Razgovory and garbon.

If hell is other people, Languish is its ninth circle.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 09:08:56 AM
So according to you a moral stand is justified only when it is effective? Where did you learn your morals, son? From Ayn Rand?

When there is a non-zero chance of effectiveness? Sure.  I mean we aren't talking about something like civil rights where even the failings of early moral stands eventually culminate in the overthrow of an established awful system.  There is no chance of overthrowing this hypothetical god, so why flail about hopelessly?  In fact, it seems like it'd be an act of extreme hubris to suggest that one's own moral code was correct even while lorded over by this god that said otherwise.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 09:10:45 AM
I'd reconsider if I were you. You are arguing with Razgovory and garbon.

Look at it another way, he could be arguing with Grumbler and Berkut.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 09:17:46 AM
When there is a non-zero chance of effectiveness? Sure.  I mean we aren't talking about something like civil rights where even the failings of early moral stands eventually culminate in the overthrow of an established awful system.  There is no chance of overthrowing this hypothetical god, so why flail about hopelessly?  In fact, it seems like it'd be an act of extreme hubris to suggest that one's own moral code was correct even while lorded over by this god that said otherwise.

Well you could find another God.  Plenty are out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 09:18:47 AM
Well you could find another God.  Plenty are out there.

Maybe I'm missing something (as a not particularly religious person) but I don't think you get to pick and choose your gods.  You either believe in them or you don't, no? I thought we were discussing a case where you truly believe that a) a god exists and b) that god is monstrous.