Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Texas House Republicans are so adorable sometimes.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

derspiess

Just seems like a weird thing for him to say, whatever the context.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

He was referencing individuals in the Muddled Eastern countries.

Quote"It is time to leave the call of violence and the politics of division behind. On so many issues, we face a choice between the promise of the future or the prisons of the past, and we cannot afford to get it wrong. We must seize this moment, and America stands ready to work with all who are willing to embrace a better future.

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt. It must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women. It must be shaped by girls who go to school and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons.

(APPLAUSE)

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country's resources. It must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with. There's is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied.

(APPLAUSE)

Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims and Shia pilgrims. It's time to heed the words of Gandhi, "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." "

I watched the speech, didn't strike me as anything weird.  Of course, it'll be in a Crossroads USA commercial by the evening news.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 01:59:57 PM
To you, Obama saying "Good morning!" will sound like a weird thing to say.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2012, 02:29:37 PM

If he said it to me, yeah.

Malthus

What's so good about it? That millions of Americans are out of work? Is that what passes for "good" in Obama-speak?  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 02:36:27 PM

If he said it to me, yeah.
:lmfao: Touche.

Crazy_Ivan80

problem is of course that say that mohammed was a warmongering slaver is slander to some, even if he actually was a warmongering slaver. And not a prophet at all (as obviously he can only be a prophet to muslims)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
I watched the speech, didn't strike me as anything weird.  Of course, it'll be in a Crossroads USA commercial by the evening news.

Doesn't strike me as weird though I do wonder why in those countries why the future must not belong to those who slander Muhammad.  If anything that seems better than what we have now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 25, 2012, 03:40:08 PM
problem is of course that say that mohammed was a warmongering slaver is slander to some, even if he actually was a warmongering slaver. And not a prophet at all (as obviously he can only be a prophet to muslims)

All religions are in and of themselves insulting to all other religions. In the case of Muhammed if not for divine permission and divine command ethics then he is a monster. There isn't a single criminal law that he didn't break in his lifetime and he was given license for all of this by god. To rephrase C.S. Lewis' alliterative Lunatic Liar or Lord trichotomy, he is either a Prophetic, Psychiatric or Pedophile.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 03:45:37 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 25, 2012, 03:40:08 PM

All religions are in and of themselves insulting to all other religions. In the case of Muhammed if not for divine permission and divine command ethics then he is a monster. There isn't a single criminal law that he didn't break in his lifetime and he was given license for all of this by god. To rephrase C.S. Lewis' alliterative Lunatic Liar or Lord trichotomy, he is either a Prophetic, Psychiatric or Pedophile.

I don't see why that follows. I mean a person may do bad things that end up being good for most - and doesn't have to be a monster simply because he didn't actually receive said instructions from God.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 03:48:06 PM
I don't see why that follows. I mean a person may do bad things that end up being good for most - and doesn't have to be a monster simply because he didn't actually receive said instructions from God.

I would think whether or not one was a monster is unrelated to whether or not said atrocities occured by divine order.  After all if they did that just means you chose to follow a monstrous god.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2012, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 03:48:06 PM

I would think whether or not one was a monster is unrelated to whether or not said atrocities occured by divine order.  After all if they did that just means you chose to follow a monstrous god.

I'm not sure I'm equipped to judge the level of monstrosity of a god.