News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

French decide on solidarity with America, elect to get bombed too.

QuoteFrance shutters embassies, schools over new Muhammad cartoon
By NBC News' Nancy Ing and wire reports

France has temporarily closed its embassies and schools in 20 countries after a satirical magazine in Paris published insulting cartoons of the Muslim prophet Muhammad, a move it fears will add "fuel to the fire" of global tensions over an anti-Islam film.

"We have indeed decided as a precautionary measure to close our premises, embassies, consulates, cultural centers and schools," a Foreign Ministry spokesman told Reuters.

Riot police were also sent to the offices of the weekly magazine, Charlie Hebdo.

The publication came amid widespread outrage over a crude, provocative film, made by anti-Islam campaigners in California, that mocked the Prophet and ignited days of deadly protests including an attack in Libya in which U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens was killed.

The front page cartoon had the figure in a wheelchair saying "You mustn't mock'' under the headline "Untouchable 2'', a reference to a hugely popular French movie about a paralyzed rich white man and his black assistant.

Charlie Hebdo's Paris offices were fire bombed last November after it published a mocking caricature of Muhammad.

Many Muslims consider any representation of Allah or the Prophet Mohammad offensive.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius criticized the magazine's move.

"Is it relevant and intelligent in this environment to add fuel to the fire? The answer is no,'' Fabius told France Info radio. "I'm very worried... and when I saw this I immediately issued instructions for special security precautions to be taken in all the countries where it could be a problem.''

The government has called for restraint over the cartoons, restating the principles of free speech in France and urging those shocked by the images to take action through the courts.

Muslim leaders in France, which has Europe's largest Muslim population, have appealed for calm.

Salafist Muslims in Paris has already called for a protest this Saturday at Trocadero, near the Eiffel Tower, against the California-made film.

A small group of about 100 were prevented by riot police from approaching the US Embassy in the center of Paris last Saturday.

French authorities have refused to authorize any demonstration.

French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said the authorities had rejected a request to hold a march.

"There is no reason for us to allow conflicts that do not concern France to enter our country,'' Ayrault told RTL radio.

Razgovory

You know, I'm getting tired of this shit.  A hundred years ago, when the Chinese besieged our embassy we allied with Russians, Japanese, French, Germans etc and just kick their asses all over the place.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2012, 06:33:47 AM
If I try to be sympathetic to these animals (and I mean the "protesters" themselves, no the muslim world in general), I must conclude that movies like these must be terribly frustrating for them indeed.

Their entire existence is made worse by a lot of arbitary rules. No booze, no oogling of women on the street, no fun.
The basis for these strict life-worsening rules, The Reason Why This Worth It At The End is that Mohammed knew his shit, and he is the überest mofo ever to have lived, and his words and person are untouchble.

When somebody makes a shittie anti-Mohammed production like this one, and is not smitten by the mighty smiter, proves one fucking painful thing:
their lives are mandatory fucked up in total and utter vain.

I don't think these protests are spontaneous. They are inspired by leaders who capitalize on religious outrage, and are almost entirely for domestic consumption. The youtube movie is just a pretext - if it wasn't that, it would have been something else.

Grey Fox

For the love of god, can we just take our shit & leave them behind?

Let Saudis conquer everyone & just buy our Oil from them?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2012, 07:01:43 AM

Have you been to France, lately? "Leaving them behind" is no longer an option - they are here.

Incidentally, I don't think there is another group of people (barring people guilty of some crimes) that I detest and abhor more than Westerners who convert to Islam.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2012, 07:05:31 AM
Incidentally, I don't think there is another group of people (barring people guilty of some crimes) that I detest and abhor more than Westerners who convert to Islam.

You mean collaborators?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2012, 07:07:54 AM

You mean collaborators?

Nah, I just see this as dangerous insanity. I consider religions to be generally stupid and a waste of time, but among them Islam is one of the worst, if not the worst (definitely the most backward, violent, anti-modern religion of all the "great religions"). I am however willing to accept that people who grew up in that religion, even in the West, may be willing to follow it, if only out of the sense of cultural custom etc.

However, people who were raised in a different religion or no religion at all, and then discover Islam and find it appealing are just total, insane, dangerous scum to me - idiots with brains fucked up beyond recovery.

Grey Fox

Have you been to France, lately? "Leaving them behind" is no longer an option - they are here.

Never been to France. I have enough with the Frenchman here, no need to go there to be annoyed 24/7 by them.

That's a problem too but it's not a reason not to distance ourselves from the Islam-axis around the world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2012, 07:13:26 AM
Nah, I just see this as dangerous insanity. I consider religions to be generally stupid and a waste of time, but among them Islam is one of the worst, if not the worst (definitely the most backward, violent, anti-modern religion of all the "great religions"). I am however willing to accept that people who grew up in that religion, even in the West, may be willing to follow it, if only out of the sense of cultural custom etc.

However, people who were raised in a different religion or no religion at all, and then discover Islam and find it appealing are just total, insane, dangerous scum to me - idiots with brains fucked up beyond recovery.

Well it certainly has many of the most violent adherents now, but that doesn't mean that one has to support violence to support the religion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Iran would crush the Saudis, unfortunately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
Well it certainly has many of the most violent adherents now, but that doesn't mean that one has to support violence to support the religion.

Now that I think about it Westerners converting to Islam or Muslims becoming Westerners would be one of the few ways this whole conflict might be resolved peacefullly.  Presuming, of course, these Westerners are just swapping religions and not rejecting Western culture.

Or maybe not.  But just a thought.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

The average Arab mooselimb is a savage.

Hey, is it time for another Languish Spec Op to the Gawaher Forum?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
Now that I think about it Westerners converting to Islam or Muslims becoming Westerners would be one of the few ways this whole conflict might be resolved peacefullly.  Presuming, of course, these Westerners are just swapping religions and not rejecting Western culture.

Or maybe not.  But just a thought.

Yeah, I don't see why it's a problem unless it comes with a rejection of Western culture.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2012, 03:13:04 PM
No one becomes Muslim who doesn't reject Western culture.

I find that hard to believe.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2012, 03:18:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2012, 03:13:04 PM
No one becomes Muslim who doesn't reject Western culture.

I find that hard to believe.

You don't have to believe. That's the beauty of not being Muslim.

Disagree as I think there are a lot of Christians in my country who would say that I have to believe if I don't want to spend eternity in hell.