News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Looks like the Euros are frothy this morning.  You'd think it was their ambassador that got killed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

QuotePresident Barack Obama says the U.S. would not consider Egypt an ally, ''but we don't consider them an enemy.''

Morsi just got a Smithfield ham on the desk.

O:  :) Now go further. Call on congress to cut their aid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2012, 07:37:14 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 07:31:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2012, 07:28:56 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 07:27:13 AM
What "this" is is not a rent-a-mob showing up to protest US imperialism but rather the novel (well since 1979) activity of trying to storm the embassy and killing it's inhabitants.

Yeah that's the thought I had this morning. Shame.

Fuck you I don't want free speech hating scum like you agreeing with me.

I think he is more of a retard than scum. Like Jacob.

It's more like unless we actually try to convince our governments to do something about their violent reactions, rallying around juvenile creations as a free speech issue - posting furiously online and writing articles is rather silly.  After all, we already know the established routine - some bozo creates some work that muslims deem offensive, muslims somewhere get violent.  (I'm calling said things juvenile as none of the works discussed in this thread are particularly interesting but really just rather shitty.)

That isn't to justify the violent muslim reaction or suggest that people should be restricted from creating juvenile works. But to act as though there isn't a cause and effect of juvenile work => crazy muslims is nonsensical. I'm not saying the author of the juvenile work is responsible for the violence but merely remind you of a clear pattern of events.

And I guess I wonder - if we aren't actually taking steps to curb such violent muslim reactions, I wonder if we as individuals should take a pause to think when we go about creating works that trigger the established pattern.  I don't think being a homosexual is a good comparison as that's just myself living my daily life whereas I don't think anyone's life really has to consist of making shitty art (or that they'd be unhappy if they couldn't).

Saying that one should consider when to exercise free speech isn't saying that it should be thrown out - anymore than the suggestion that one should probably avoid shouting out the n-word when walking around a majority black neighborhood.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2012, 07:59:42 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 12, 2012, 06:47:06 PM

Profits not Prophets! :yeah:

Arabic doesn't really transliterate to latin lettering. Vowels are pretty arbitrary, and often not included and for consonants hard/soft distinctions often disappear (f/b, p/b, s/z, k/g etc.). Often these signs are often transliterations of mipronounciations in arabic of english words. So you'll often end up with signs like

Dawon Dawon USA (down down USA)
Death to the Juice (death to the jews)

etc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

2 destroyers with Tomahawks off the Libyan coast? MY MURDER BONER IS OUT OF CONTROL.

FunkMonk

I was hoping for actual gunboats from the 1910s, not guided missile destroyers. :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2012, 07:54:07 AM
Looks like the Euros are frothy this morning.  You'd think it was their ambassador that got killed. Jews were involved.

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 13, 2012, 08:14:59 AM
I was hoping for actual gunboats from the 1910s, not guided missile destroyers. :(

Gunboats were there to threaten the government, not the rebels.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 08:21:13 AM

Gunboats were there to threaten the government, not the rebels.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Meh, the Tomahawks will be able to zero in on drone targeted facilities much, much better, insha'allah.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 07:26:44 PM
Mittens' and his campaign's entire behavior, from the initial release to his statement today, simply shows how much of a foreign policy noob he really is. 

It's consistent with his entire foreign policy approach this entire campaign season:  nothing but bluster and blunders, all from trying too hard.

Making inflammatory statements as well as holding an even more inflammatory press conference before the POTUS addresses the issue isn't just bad politics, it's simply poor form.

You nailed it.

Even in this partisan age, other Republicans found this bad form.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius