News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2012, 09:04:03 PM
I'll be Chevy Chase, you'll be Martin Short and ups guy Steve Martin.

EL GUAPO  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Fireblade

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2012, 07:18:29 PM
Seems like the actors in the film are considering suing the producer too: http://gawker.com/5942748

Probably won't work.

..Good luck suing the Mossad.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on September 12, 2012, 04:32:30 PM
Berkut, if you are reading this thread, now do you agree that it was wrong to get involved?

To the extent we can, we need to disengage with the Arabic world for a while.

No, I don't agree with that at all.

In fact, I vehemently disagree that the ability of radicals to engage in violence should ever deter us from acting, or "getting involved".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 03:47:36 PM

I'm not sure I entirely agree - as in that case I think it was a bit of picking one's battles. I guess we could continue to publish lame things they find offensive but I'm not sure where we have room to be surprised that they then act in a ridiculous violent manner - unless we are planning to do something to curb them of their violent ways. (And I don't think a sharply worded retort qualifies.)

This is simply mindboggling.

First of all, "we" do not continue to publish anything - our societies are not monolythic and our governments do not control content of free speech.

Secondly, be careful what you wish for - since your very existence is offensive to muslims, so you are probably going to be next on the list.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2012, 07:01:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2012, 06:58:52 PM
Interesting.

Not sure we really do reject all attempts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.

No I don't think you do, but it seems to me that the idealized America that shines as a beacon to the rest of the world aspires to reject such attempts. So I don't see how the statement should be controversial.

Wow, you completely misunderstand the concept of freedom of speech, don't you?

The statement from the US embassy condemning "those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious belief of others" is simply outrageous in a secular democracy. Doing away with blasphemy laws was (or is, in case of Poland) one of the greatest achievements towards freedom of speech - and I can't think of a statement more "denigrating" religious beliefs of others than "God does not exist and your beliefs are a lie". Suggesting that it is an abuse of freedom of speech to "hurt religious beliefs of others" is not acceptable, and if this is what Romney is slamming Obama for, he is right.

And while we are at it, where are all the other apologies from Obama for US citizens unaffiliated with the US government hurting feelings of other people? Why hasn't the White House (or at least some US embassies) issued an apology to homosexuals for Fred Phelps saying "God hates fags" or NOM releasing movies about gays molesting children; or why hasn't Obama apologised to Vatican for Chick tracts? Or (here's a crazy thought) is the entire statement a way to appease crazy idiots who intimidated Obama with violence so unless you storm an embassy or murder the ambassador, you can't really count on an apology?

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2012, 01:29:36 AM... Or (here's a crazy thought) is the entire statement a way to appease crazy idiots who intimidated Obama with violence so unless you storm an embassy or murder the ambassador, you can't really count on an apology?

Here comes the apology:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/libya-drone-war/

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2012, 06:23:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
TBH, I gotta go with Romney here. I was hoping for an Anders Fogh Rasmussen type reply like from either of the candidates.

"Look, I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt, but in America everybody gets to say what they think, including the stupid people."

Which part of what Romney said do you agree with?

the part where he disagrees with doing this -> "to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."

I think validating the view that the film's offensiveness was worthy of an emotional reaction in the same sentence as you condemn the attack means you aren't condemning the attack.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2012, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
To be blunt, the fact that Israel is a democracy is a hinderence to democracy developing in Israel.
:hmm:

The logic is as follows

1 - Israel is the Enemy
2 - We do not wish to be like the enemy
3 - We do not wish to be like Israel
4 - Israel is a Democracy
5 - We do not wish to be a Democracy

Democracy itself is tainted by association with Israel.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Viking

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2012, 08:20:54 PM
Just watching the BBC World coverage and the anchor is having kittens because the female reporter in Washington is saying US marines are going to Libya, he says "that would be something, US boots on the ground in Libya" 

Hilarious, not understanding that it's common practice to have Marines guard US embassies. 

Seriously a lot of you guys on Languish could do much better, more balanced and informed job than these media types.

no on the former, yes on the latter...

I'm surprised the the Anthem of the US Marines hasn't been brought up yet.

dps

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 03:51:29 AM
To be blunt, the fact that Israel is a democracy is a hinderence to democracy developing in Israel.

The logic is as follows

1 - Israel is the Enemy

Uhm, who is the "we" in that?

Viking

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2012, 04:17:35 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 03:51:29 AM

The logic is as follows

1 - Israel is the Enemy

Uhm, who is the "we" in that?

Ah, oh, I now see the point. What I meant to say was

To be blunt, the fact that Israel is a democracy is a hinderence to democracy developing in the Arab World

:blush: