News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It seems Romney's response to the Cairo embassy communication is turning into a bit of a political kerfluffle.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2012, 05:50:30 PM
It seems Romney's response to the Cairo embassy communication is turning into a bit of a political kerfluffle.

How so ?

I haven't had the chance to see any of the US coverage so far or indeed much of anyones, other than on Languish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2012, 05:54:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2012, 05:50:30 PM

How so ?

I haven't had the chance to see any of the US coverage so far or indeed much of anyones, other than on Languish.

He's kind of perceived to have reacted like this:

(the picture is from when he gave his reaction statement)

Here's an editorial summarizing what seems to be the general reaction to Romney's response (including from a number of Republicans): http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-death-of-an-ambassador/2012/09/12/ed3b719e-fcfa-11e1-b153-218509a954e1_story.html

Viking

TBH, I gotta go with Romney here. I was hoping for an Anders Fogh Rasmussen type reply like from either of the candidates.

"Look, I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt, but in America everybody gets to say what they think, including the stupid people."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
TBH, I gotta go with Romney here. I was hoping for an Anders Fogh Rasmussen type reply like from either of the candidates.

"Look, I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt, but in America everybody gets to say what they think, including the stupid people."

You're making Tim and Raz look like Rhodes Scholars in comparison.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 06:21:22 PM

Which part of what Romney said do you agree with?

Admiral Yi

How so ?

It's a bit confusing, with a lot of accusations flying.

AFAICT, yesterday during the day the Cairo embassy released a statement saying the US filmmaker should be more sensitive to Muslim sensibilities.

Last night Romney addressed the press.  The only line that CNN broadcast was something about the Obama administration should not apologize for US principles.  Which to me works pretty well.

Later on (before/after Romney's statement??) the US ambassador in Egypt and the White House disavowed the Cairo statement.

Then the Democrats, and a number of Republicans jumped on Romney for politicizing the death of a US ambassador.

My thought was, what does his statement have to do with the death of the ambassador?  At the time of Romney's statement the ambassador was considered by the White House to be missing.  They didn't find out he was dead until this morning.

*Then* this evening on CNN Romney's national security dude was on saying that yes, in fact both the Cairo protests and the ambassador's death are symptomatic of the disorder (chaos?) that Obama's foreign policy has created in the region.  To me that was a boneheaded thing to say.  First, you have a chance to disassociate Romney's comment from the death but pass it up, then you want to fault Obama for the end of strongman regimes in the Arab world?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2012, 06:28:06 PM
How so ?

AFAICT, yesterday during the day the Cairo embassy released a statement saying the US filmmaker should be more sensitive to Muslim sensibilities.

Last night Romney addressed the press.  The only line that CNN broadcast was something about the Obama administration should not apologize for US principles.  Which to me works pretty well.

Later on (before/after Romney's statement??) the US ambassador in Egypt and the White House disavowed the Cairo statement.

Then the Democrats, and a number of Republicans jumped on Romney for politicizing the death of a US ambassador.

My thought was, what does his statement have to do with the death of the ambassador?  At the time of Romney's statement the ambassador was considered by the White House to be missing.  They didn't find out he was dead until this morning.

*Then* this evening on CNN Romney's national security dude was on saying that yes, in fact both the Cairo protests and the ambassador's death are symptomatic of the disorder (chaos?) that Obama's foreign policy has created in the region.  To me that was a boneheaded thing to say.  First, you have a chance to disassociate Romney's comment from the death but pass it up, then you want to fault Obama for the end of strongman regimes in the Arab world?

Did you read the link in jacob's post?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2012, 06:28:06 PM
How so ?

:cheers:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
To be blunt, the fact that Israel is a democracy is a hinderence to democracy developing in Israel.
:hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on September 12, 2012, 06:32:59 PM
Did you read the link in jacob's post?

Link dinnae work.  What's the skinny?

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2012, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
To be blunt, the fact that Israel is a democracy is a hinderence to democracy developing in Israel.
:hmm:

If Israel were a theocracy, the Jews would tear it down in weeks, then spend a lot of time arguing amongst themselves, hence democracy ?   :unsure: