News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Who is responsible for making the existence of the movie known? Clearly, someone is out there pointing at it and saying it represents American opinion. They obviously have gotten the idea that the US government is somehow at fault, though I don't see how that connection can be made.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 01:00:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 09:58:48 AM
No TLDR, it's fucking hitchens, it's readable.

First they burned the danish embassy in Damascus, then the burned the UN compound in Kunduz and now the US Consulate in Benghazi .

The thing is that nobody can be offended, people can choose to take offense. These people choose to be offended and they continue to choose to be offended because they get away with it and pay no cost. You can reliably expect the pope and many other religious leaders to side with the murderers against the murdered.

I don't see the relevance of the Hitchen's article.
The Relevance of the Hitchens article is that this has happened before and US and Religious groups and forces criticized the victims of violence for the violence. It was the danes own fault. I don't accept blaming skimpily clad women for them being raped and I don't blame protecting freedom of speech for embassies being burned.
Did Washington suggest that attacks on the Danish embassy were justified?

Yes, Bush himself validated the emotion that caused the attacks by expressing his agreement that muslims were right to be offended by free speech.

And you're distinction about being offended vs. choosing to take offense seems rather ridiculous.

I think it is a vital and substantial one. The justification used for much of the violence against westerners and liberal cultural muslims has been that something was so offensive that violent evil action could not be avoided. We put people in prison and hospital when they do that in our own societies.

I might clarify myself by saying that when you are emotionally agitated by the actions of others then you still have a choice of responding violently or not responding violently.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 12, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
Who is responsible for making the existence of the movie known? Clearly, someone is out there pointing at it and saying it represents American opinion. They obviously have gotten the idea that the US government is somehow at fault, though I don't see how that connection can be made.

You don't have freedom of speech in arab societies and if you say things in public that the government disagrees with you get tortured and sent to prison. Arabs quite naturally assume that when American "imams" burn Korans they do so with government support and when American "filmmakers" (I watched this film and it is mindbogglingly bad) make movies critical of Islam they do so with government support. That is why they think that actions of individuals are tacitly supported by the government.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 01:22:52 PM
You don't have freedom of speech in arab societies and if you say things in public that the government disagrees with you get tortured and sent to prison.

Have you perhaps been in a cave the last 18 months or so?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 01:19:01 PM
The Relevance of the Hitchens article is that this has happened before and US and Religious groups and forces criticized the victims of violence for the violence. It was the danes own fault. I don't accept blaming skimpily clad women for them being raped and I don't blame protecting freedom of speech for embassies being burned.

I think the critique was leveled towards those running the contest and the cartoon creators who created such with the aim of offending people. I don't think people then said that they deserved to be violently attacked for that - just more than they weren't the aggrieved balls of light they tried to paint themselves as.

Yes, Bush himself validated the emotion that caused the attacks by expressing his agreement that muslims were right to be offended by free speech.

So, you said yes but you mean no? What you've just stated was that Bush was supported the attacking of the embassy but that muslims were right to be offended.  Not really that different from saying Christians are right to be offended if you make piss christs.

I think it is a vital and substantial one. The justification used for much of the violence against westerners and liberal cultural muslims has been that something was so offensive that violent evil action could not be avoided. We put people in prison and hospital when they do that in our own societies.

I might clarify myself by saying that when you are emotionally agitated by the actions of others then you still have a choice of responding violently or not responding violently.

:huh:

I get the distinction that being offended doesn't mean you should respond violently but that's not the initial distinction that you drew with "nobody can be offended, people can choose to take offense" unless you are using the world offense to mean violent reaction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 01:22:52 PM
You don't have freedom of speech in arab societies and if you say things in public that the government disagrees with you get tortured and sent to prison.

Have you perhaps been in a cave the last 18 months or so?

No, but I seem to have missed Al-Jefferson and Al-Washington in knickerbockers and powdered wigs elucidating on freedom of speech and religion that you seem to think exist.

The Mubakharat hasn't ceased to exist in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Iraq; it just has new masters. What has been lacking is a flowering of free speech in these societies.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 12:58:44 PMDamn. Sounds like the world's most successful troll.  :lol:

Pretty successful, yes. Not particularly funny, I don't think.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 01:27:28 PM

I think the critique was leveled towards those running the contest and the cartoon creators who created such with the aim of offending people. I don't think people then said that they deserved to be violently attacked for that - just more than they weren't the aggrieved balls of light they tried to paint themselves as.

You are uninformed. The cartoons were commissioned as part of a project to expose the fact that illustrators were self-sensoring out of fear of muslim violence. They were created to expose precisely the intimidation that we saw after the Danish Imams spent months shopping around the muslim world including this one

that they made themselves.

So, you said yes but you mean no? What you've just stated was that Bush was supported the attacking of the embassy but that muslims were right to be offended.  Not really that different from saying Christians are right to be offended if you make piss christs.
And if christians went around burning buildings and trying to axe-murder illustrators then I'd point out how violent and evil they were.

You asked me if washington suggested the attacks were justified. Bush validated the emotions of the burners after saying the word "but". At worst he justified the attacks at best he laid down a moral equivalency between drawing rude pictures and murder.

:huh:

I get the distinction that being offended doesn't mean you should respond violently but that's not the initial distinction that you drew with "nobody can be offended, people can choose to take offense" unless you are using the world offense to mean violent reaction.

How about when you misunderstand me and I clarify what I meant originally you stop pretending your original misunderstanding was my main point?

Sheilbh

It looks like it could be the film's producers. From the reporting I've seen it looks like they were trying to provoke exactly this response.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2012, 01:44:47 PM
It looks like it could be the film's producers. From the reporting I've seen it looks like they were trying to provoke exactly this response.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_of_Muslims

QuoteIn July 2012, a 14-minute excerpt from the English-language film was posted on YouTube. By September the movie had been dubbed into Arabic and was brought to the attention of the Arabic-speaking world by a Coptic blogger whose Egyptian citizenship had been revoked for promoting calls for an attack on Egypt.[11][12] Muslim leaders criticized the film's depiction of Muhammad.[13] The Daily Telegraph reported that it portrayed Muhammad as an advocate of pedophilia and a homosexual, showing him having sex.[14]

Queequeg

How many innocent Coptics are going to die because of this? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

The clerics in Egypt have their own versions Islamic versions of Rush and others, simply trolling the internet for good bites of anything remotely inflammatory, anything they can use to pursue their own agenda. 

Unfortunately, you can't tell the uneducated mobs of the Muddled East that get all geared up over this sort of shit that some squirrelly goofball in Florida with less than 50 members in his church--the same goofball that burned the Koran last year, and subsequently getting people killed in Afghanistan--isn't representative of the entire United States.

This is the part where Obama's policy of whacking US citizens for terroristic activities would come in handy.

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on September 12, 2012, 01:53:44 PM

Probably a few more than were going to die already.  Pretty sad fate for them, with or without this incident.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on September 12, 2012, 01:53:44 PM

dunno.. I've been wondering how many Copts might die because of this.

mongers

Well, I won't be happy until US M1s are parked in Riyadh.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"