News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I think this quote from "Yes, Minister" pretty much sums up the situation for Obama:

QuoteJames Hacker: Humphrey, do you think it's a good idea to issue a statement?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Well, Minister, in practical terms we have the usual six options. One, do nothing. Two, issue a statement deploring the speech. Three, lodge an official protest. Four, cut off aid. Five, break off diplomatic relations; and six, declare war.

James Hacker: Which should we do?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Well, if we do nothing we implicitly agree with the speech. Two: if we issue a statement we'll just look foolish. Three: if we lodge a protest it will be ignored. Four: we can't cut off aid because we don't give them any. Five: if we break off diplomatic relations we can't negotiate the oil rig contracts. And six: if we declare war it might just look as though we were over-reacting.

Martin - Foreign Secretary: In the old days we'd have sent in a gunboat.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes.

James Hacker: I suppose that is absolutely out of the question.

Kleves

Quote from: Caliga on September 12, 2012, 05:42:49 AM
What is wrong with these fucking people? :bleeding:

When Dogma came out, you didn't see angry Catholics rioting in the streets and trying to kill Jay and Silent Bob. :rolleyes:
Well, Catholicism is not The Religion of Peace(tm).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhyKxCcROVM

The Ambassador Introducing himself to Libya. (I keep mis-spelling it Lybia)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on September 12, 2012, 08:41:23 AM

When Dogma came out, you didn't see angry Catholics rioting in the streets and trying to kill Jay and Silent Bob. :rolleyes:

lets not open that can of worms....

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 08:43:50 AM

What about the Diet of Worms?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 08:36:21 AM
Four: we can't cut off aid because we don't give them any.

The convenient thing is, we do.  A lot.

Talk about opening Diets of Worms.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 08:43:50 AM

What about the Diet of Worms?

Protein.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 08:03:51 AM
I'm glad Obama's around to make sure that we increase security.
:lol:
Wow, the Obama campaign says some nasty things about Hillary, and you really go full Dinesh D'Souza.  Can't fault you for your commitment, at least.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:49:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 08:36:21 AM
Four: we can't cut off aid because we don't give them any.

The convenient thing is, we do.  A lot.

Talk about opening Diets of Worms.

Yes Minister Quote.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on September 12, 2012, 08:56:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 08:03:51 AM
I'm glad Obama's around to make sure that we increase security.
:lol:
Wow, the Obama campaign says some nasty things about Hillary, and you really go full Dinesh D'Souza.  Can't fault you for your commitment, at least.

Disliking Obama has nothing to do with Hillary at this point. After all, she's been an integral part of his administration. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Hillary's comments at the State Department right now are...rather presidential.

:wub:

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
Which is why I didn't find Obama's response particularly appealing.

Though mind you, I don't know what an appropriate response should be given the facts we have now. :P

Mittens' gleefully ignorant knee-jerk comments in the middle of the night aside, what's more disturbing is the silence coming from the Egyptian and Libyan governments.

You really don't get it do you?
You cannot score positive voter points with anything remotely pro-American ANYWHERE east of the Atlantic Ocean. Add that to the fact that the protesters were there to DEFEN TEH PROPHET!!!!!11111oneoneoneone and you know why they are silent.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2012, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
Which is why I didn't find Obama's response particularly appealing.

Though mind you, I don't know what an appropriate response should be given the facts we have now. :P

Mittens' gleefully ignorant knee-jerk comments in the middle of the night aside, what's more disturbing is the silence coming from the Egyptian and Libyan governments.

You really don't get it do you?
You cannot score positive voter points with anything remotely pro-American ANYWHERE east of the Atlantic Ocean. Add that to the fact that the protesters were there to DEFEN TEH PROPHET!!!!!11111oneoneoneone and you know why they are silent.

Oh, I get it, alright.  Whether or not they do when it comes to US foreign aid is the question.

CountDeMoney

Oh, I like the Romney backdrop for his statement in Jacksonville;  nice blue curtain with an American flag.  Looks like it's coming straight from the White House itself.