From Hell's Heart I stab at thee, Fireman Sam

Started by Barrister, September 04, 2012, 03:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

You should watch the original Welsh version, that's always good for a laugh.

I used to rather like Fireman Sam. Though I hear new episodes of it and Postman Pat have been made and they make it all cool and down with the kids and lame....
Thomas the Tank is king though. I do believe that a childhood interest in Thomas bodes well for future geekery.

And Thomas had Ringo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmQMIHg9kk
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2012, 08:44:03 PMI used to rather like Fireman Sam. Though I hear new episodes of it and Postman Pat have been made and they make it all cool and down with the kids and lame....

That's what happened to German Sesame Street. In late 70s/early 80s it was a good mix of decent original content with good, well known German actors and stuff bought from the U.S., mostly cartoons and puppet skids (though the people who wrote the dubbing must have been stoned out of their minds most of the time - some of that stuff is surreal :lol: ).

When I watched it in the 90s with my niece/nephew it had embraced youth culture way too much. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Well I don't know the "old" Fireman Sam in any way.  I only know the 2008 version.

I think there's one episode with a reference to a skateboard.  Beyond that, I can't think of anything referencing 'youth culture'.  It just has really annoying voices, and really annoying Euro sirens (seriously - as a continent you guys fail in your emergency sirens).

Although Timmy knows who Thomas the Tank Engine is, he doesn't particularily like the show.  Which disappoints me, since only does it have Ringo but George Carlin as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.