And we're back!

Main Menu

TV - Fall 2012

Started by viper37, September 06, 2012, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2012, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
Caught the last fifteen minutes of CBS' Sherlock Holmes knockoff last night.

Unimpressive. Poorly cast Sherlock Holmes; guy looks like a bad bartender. I can buy a female Watson (especially Lucy Liu  :perv:), but the two don't seem to have any chemistry. Definitely not the type of energy like between Cumberbatch and Freeman.

I didn't see the whole show so I can't really speak to the story or the case.

I can just see the scene in the TV Producer's Boardroom:

"Yeah, we like us some US version of Sherlock. But that Sherlock-Watson stuff is too fruity for the US audience. I mean, what are they, queer or something?  :hmm: Wait, I know - make Watson a hott chick! Pure genius!  :smarty: "

I don't understand why a friendship depicted on TV automatically becomes suggestive of ghey sex? Watson courts women (or in the reboot, he dates) and usually it is going fine until she meets sherlock.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2012, 11:17:50 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2012, 11:14:42 PM
Can't decide whether she's hot or not.

She is, though not as much as Dushku and Acker.
I disagree. She is not attractive.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2012, 11:14:42 PM
We're talking about that bizzare looking Australian east asian girl?
She is.....strange. Can't decide whether she's hot or not. Certainly unique.
Yes, she's hot, but it takes a while to notice.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on September 30, 2012, 04:30:34 AM

Unimpressive. Poorly cast Sherlock Holmes; guy looks like a bad bartender. I can buy a female Watson (especially Lucy Liu  :perv:), but the two don't seem to have any chemistry. Definitely not the type of energy like between Cumberbatch and Freeman.

"Yeah, we like us some US version of Sherlock. But that Sherlock-Watson stuff is too fruity for the US audience. I mean, what are they, queer or something?  :hmm: Wait, I know - make Watson a hott chick! Pure genius!  :smarty: "

I don't understand why a friendship depicted on TV automatically becomes suggestive of ghey sex? Watson courts women (or in the reboot, he dates) and usually it is going fine until she meets sherlock.

What was standard stuff in late Victorian times up until maybe the 1960s (close platonic friendships between men depicted in fiction; some men, like Holmes, essentially asexual) is always considered to be the stuff of gay innuendo in the modern era.

Look at Tintin. Intrepid boy reporter moves in with retired sea-captain; neither has the slightest interest in women (a running gag is that the only female character - an opera diva who looks very much like a man in drag - has the hots for the captain, and he hates it). No biggie right before or after WW2, but if you set it nowadays people would just assume there was something going on. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2012, 10:55:03 AM
What was standard stuff in late Victorian times up until maybe the 1960s (close platonic friendships between men depicted in fiction; some men, like Holmes, essentially asexual) is always considered to be the stuff of gay innuendo in the modern era.

Fags see fags everywhere, film at 11.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2012, 11:08:18 AM

Fags see fags everywhere, film at 11.

Like how you cropped the quote. If you'd kept all of it - I'd say that it's generally best if we assume nothing sexual is going on when older men spend lots of time seeking to hang around young boys.

Oh and additional, I think the blame really should be put on heterosexuals. You're the ones who created the culture where it is problematic to appear gay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Finally watched Last Resort. What a hot mess of nonsensical plot. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2012, 12:31:35 PM
Finally watched Last Resort. What a hot mess of nonsensical plot. :D

Yeah, while I get the whole "desperate President is probably starting a war to bolster his position" idea...they didn't sell it well at all.

And NATO with a listening post on some kind of pirate/criminal-run island...I am guessing somewhere in the Indian Ocean?  I don't buy it.

garbon

My favorite was their tactic to make the bombers leave the area.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2012, 04:03:56 PM
My favorite was their tactic to make the bombers leave the area.

Well, now I am not sure what else they could have plausibly done.

Viking

Look at Tintin. Intrepid boy reporter moves in with retired sea-captain; neither has the slightest interest in women (a running gag is that the only female character - an opera diva who looks very much like a man in drag - has the hots for the captain, and he hates it). No biggie right before or after WW2, but if you set it nowadays people would just assume there was something going on.

yes yes yes, you answered a "why" question with a "what" answer. I want to know when men stopped having deep meaningful personal platonic relationships with other men in media and why this happened. Wertham accused Batman and Robin of not being masculin enough in "The Seduction of the Innocent", but it doesn't seem to have taken back then. You have more than enough depictions of male friendships in the media. It is almost as if in 1968 it all changed and all of a sudden buddy cops don't have emotions (except when somebody dies) and groups of friends always have three or more males never two.

When is the last time you heard of an adult male saying that somebody is his best friend in any form of media?

What does this mean for today's males if there are no role models of male friendship?

Am I getting paranoid about post-modernism?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Viking on September 30, 2012, 04:55:50 PM

yes yes yes, you answered a "why" question with a "what" answer. I want to know when men stopped having deep meaningful personal platonic relationships with other men in media and why this happened. Wertham accused Batman and Robin of not being masculin enough in "The Seduction of the Innocent", but it doesn't seem to have taken back then. You have more than enough depictions of male friendships in the media. It is almost as if in 1968 it all changed and all of a sudden buddy cops don't have emotions (except when somebody dies) and groups of friends always have three or more males never two.

When is the last time you heard of an adult male saying that somebody is his best friend in any form of media?

What does this mean for today's males if there are no role models of male friendship?

Am I getting paranoid about post-modernism?
Clerks II, Randall and Dante in the holding cell.

It means that people should be concerned.

Yes, with good reason.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on September 30, 2012, 04:55:50 PM

When's the last time you heard of an adult male saying he loves Cheetos in any form of media? And why would that be something you'd remember?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2012, 03:21:45 PM
Lucy Liu is funky looking for an Asian chick.  The only one funkier-looking is that weirdo looking one from Gray's Anatomy, looks like that naked teen from the napalmed village photo from Vietnam.
Two decidedly unattractive Asian chicks.  Hottie? Nottie.

Devon Aoki is wierder looking than either one, although she's only half Japanese.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on September 30, 2012, 08:13:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2012, 03:21:45 PM
Lucy Liu is funky looking for an Asian chick.  The only one funkier-looking is that weirdo looking one from Gray's Anatomy, looks like that naked teen from the napalmed village photo from Vietnam.
Two decidedly unattractive Asian chicks.  Hottie? Nottie.

Devon Aoki is wierder looking than either one, although she's only half Japanese.

Yeah, she looks like a pug dog that's been walloped with a shovel to the snout.