News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV - Fall 2012

Started by viper37, September 06, 2012, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I'll take that as a no.

When the main guy and the cute young lady go to the rebel base they introduce themselves as Stu Redman and Frannie (characters from The Stand).

When they prepare to build a tunnel they say "let's Shawshank our way out of here."

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2012, 04:52:27 PM
I'll take that as a no.

When the main guy and the cute young lady go to the rebel base they introduce themselves as Stu Redman and Frannie (characters from The Stand).

When they prepare to build a tunnel they say "let's Shawshank our way out of here."

I also noticed the rebel camp was located at "Lone Pine Mall" for a Back to the Future reference.  :P

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
Caught the last fifteen minutes of CBS' Sherlock Holmes knockoff last night.

Unimpressive. Poorly cast Sherlock Holmes; guy looks like a bad bartender. I can buy a female Watson (especially Lucy Liu  :perv:), but the two don't seem to have any chemistry. Definitely not the type of energy like between Cumberbatch and Freeman.

I didn't see the whole show so I can't really speak to the story or the case.

Now that I've seen this - not sure I really get your comment. First episode makes a big deal out of the fact the characters (not the actors) don't have any sort of chemistry...with Lucy Liu's Watson being very turned off by Holmes.  Strikes me as pretty accurate as know one loves a know-it-all. I think the point is that over the story arc then they'd start getting along better once they understand each other. No idea if the writing/acting will successfully pull that off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 05:30:25 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
Caught the last fifteen minutes of CBS' Sherlock Holmes knockoff last night.

Unimpressive. Poorly cast Sherlock Holmes; guy looks like a bad bartender. I can buy a female Watson (especially Lucy Liu  :perv:), but the two don't seem to have any chemistry. Definitely not the type of energy like between Cumberbatch and Freeman.

I didn't see the whole show so I can't really speak to the story or the case.

Now that I've seen this - not sure I really get your comment. First episode makes a big deal out of the fact the characters (not the actors) don't have any sort of chemistry...with Lucy Liu's Watson being very turned off by Holmes.  Strikes me as pretty accurate as know one loves a know-it-all. I think the point is that over the story arc then they'd start getting along better once they understand each other. No idea if the writing/acting will successfully pull that off.

Fair enough. Like I said I didn't see the entire show, just the final 15 minutes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Totally not impressed by 3 of the returning shows I watch.  The Mentalist, Castle, and Once Upon A Time just came out terribly flat, boring, or utterly predictable.  I'll give them a couple more weeks, but it doesn't look good. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 04, 2012, 01:25:35 AM
Totally not impressed by 3 of the returning shows I watch.  The Mentalist, Castle, and Once Upon A Time just came out terribly flat, boring, or utterly predictable.  I'll give them a couple more weeks, but it doesn't look good. :(

I gave up on OUAT about 2/3 through the first season. Been a while since there was a network show I felt worth watching for two seasons. Thinking Community may have been the latest one. And of course it has flirted with cancellation the whole time.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Come to think of it, Grimm is pretty bad too this season.  It's lost even its moderate brain release of the week function.  About the only shows that I'm enjoying now are Hell on Wheels and Copper, and they both end soon.  Ugh. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadBurgerMaker

I noticed Last Resort was on my DVR, so I went ahead and checked it out:  yeah okay that was dumb

Oh and what the hell was that dancing shit when they crossed the equator?  I got blasted in the face with a fire hose, (temporarily) locked in a coffin full of ice water, had some shit dumped on me that smelled really bad and stuck around for quite a while, and had to grovel at the court of Neptune, among other filthy wog-like things.  Then they gave me a card and let me do the same shit to wogs later on.  There was no dancing. 

e: I mean come on.  If you're going to make a ridiculous show about a bunch of bubbleheads going off and creating their own dumb island nation with nukes or whatever, at least get the hazing parts right.

garbon

What you described wouldn't have been at all fun to watch...but just awkward.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 04, 2012, 02:41:03 AM
e: I mean come on.  If you're going to make a ridiculous show about a bunch of bubbleheads going off and creating their own dumb island nation with nukes or whatever, at least get the hazing parts right.

Slamming dolphin pins into each others' chests until they bleed like stuck pigs doesn't translate well into the prime time family time slot.  Especially with a coed crew.   :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 04, 2012, 02:41:03 AM
I noticed Last Resort was on my DVR, so I went ahead and checked it out:  yeah okay that was dumb

Oh and what the hell was that dancing shit when they crossed the equator?  I got blasted in the face with a fire hose, (temporarily) locked in a coffin full of ice water, had some shit dumped on me that smelled really bad and stuck around for quite a while, and had to grovel at the court of Neptune, among other filthy wog-like things.  Then they gave me a card and let me do the same shit to wogs later on.  There was no dancing. 

I've heard that submariners get vicious with the jokes.  Probably wouldn't play well for the family hour.  Save the hardcore stuff for when they wanna remake OZ but in a sub.
PDH!

Faeelin

You know, as much as Revolutions bothers me, I kind of like that its protagonists view the collapse of the USA as a bad thing. Unlike the series the idea was stolen from, where everyone goes WEE FEUDAL KINGSHIPS.

Ed Anger

Somebody had been reading SM Stirling.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

The 10th series of Red Dwarf begins tonight. Hope it's an improvement over the last couple of cheap-ass series.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on October 04, 2012, 11:12:24 AM
The 10th series of Red Dwarf begins tonight. Hope it's an improvement over the last couple of cheap-ass series.

OMG - send me the file!