News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV - Fall 2012

Started by viper37, September 06, 2012, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
It does degrade somewhat, but the effect in 15 years is nil.  I still have ammo from the 1930s that shoots fine, and I doubt that was stored in optimal conditions 100% of the time.
I was told my .22 ammo was no more good and I needed to buy new ones because it wasn't properly stored :confused:
Have I been lied to by 2 different hunters?

And anyway, firearms can be (and often are) cleaned using the crudest materials, solvents, lubricants, etc.
Yes, but stocks aren't limitless.  A huge stock of motor oil in Texas is not useful for someone in Washington.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
Also, Terra Nova syndrome.*

*I haven't watched it yet.
Yeah well, nobody pretends it's a great show based on one episode.  Let's say, we're far, far from the quality of BSG mini-series here.

If you haven't watched it yet, I'd suggest waiting after the season is over.  If it goes into S2, watch the entire season, otherwise, skip it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: daveracher on September 19, 2012, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
Also, Terra Nova syndrome.*

*I haven't watched it yet.

I have and I would have to agree. Gus needs to start slitting some throats or I'm gonna lose interest really quickly.

I cant wait to see him get his face blown up.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2012, 02:35:56 PM
I was told my .22 ammo was no more good and I needed to buy new ones because it wasn't properly stored :confused:
Have I been lied to by 2 different hunters?

Dunno.  I have .22 ammo from the 80s that still shoots fine.  How improperly stored was yours? 

I suppose .22LR could be a unique case as it is rimfire ammo and may not be as durable as centerfire cartridges. 

And anyway, firearms can be (and often are) cleaned using the crudest materials, solvents, lubricants, etc.
Yes, but stocks aren't limitless.  A huge stock of motor oil in Texas is not useful for someone in Washington.

It doesn't take much oil to lubricate a gun (my Glock does fine with 3 drops).  In the absence of proper gun oil, a whole range of oils, greases, etc. could be used as lubricant.  Some guns will run fine for a while without any lubrication whatsoever.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I still have ammo from the 1930s that shoots fine, and I doubt that was stored in optimal conditions 100% of the time.

By all means, keep firing it.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2012, 03:35:34 PM
I still have ammo from the 1930s that shoots fine, and I doubt that was stored in optimal conditions 100% of the time.

By all means, keep firing it.

:)

The German 1938 & 1939 stuff looks like it was made yesterday.  I'm down to my last few rounds unfortunately so I'll preserve them for my 'collection'.

I also have some Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo from the 1940s that I need to go through and inspect.  For any round that doesn't look sturdy I'll just pull/keep the bullet and collect the powder.

I also have some Yugoslavian-made 8mm ammo from the 1950s that is solid and very clean.  Have had no problems with any of the old surplus ammo I use.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Bah, old ammo is a lot like really expired eggs;  it may still look OK, but you really shouldn't trust it.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2012, 03:23:56 PM
Dunno.  I have .22 ammo from the 80s that still shoots fine.  How improperly stored was yours? 
they were in a paper bag, in the closet.

It doesn't take much oil to lubricate a gun (my Glock does fine with 3 drops).  In the absence of proper gun oil, a whole range of oils, greases, etc. could be used as lubricant.  Some guns will run fine for a while without any lubrication whatsoever.
I know it doesn't take much, but you need to have it near you.  If it's unsafe to travel unless in arm bands, you're limited to whatever lubricant you would have home, if you stayed home.  If you moved, well, you might have brought the gun and the bullets, but maybe you forgot the lubricant.

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2012, 06:39:27 PM
you're limited to whatever lubricant you would have home, if you stayed home.

Or what you can scavenge.  You can walk into just about any big box store in the USA (Target, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro) and buy a can of Rem Oil...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on September 19, 2012, 06:47:38 PM
Or what you can scavenge.  You can walk into just about any big box store in the USA (Target, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro) and buy a can of Rem Oil...
Look at the state of the US in The Walking Dead.  And it's been what, 6 months since the world collapsed?  You see the look of the store in a small city after only 6 months?

Once the supply chain breaks down, you're stuck with whatever you can keep and/or carry with you.  If someone raided first, you're out of luck.  I see this in a grocery store when they announce a special on some products, it gets bought very quickly.  Now imagine that there's no resupply.  It's gone, it's gone forever.

In 15 years, you may well be out of lubricant in your neck of the woods.  Maybe the guys who have the guns have stockpiled themselves with lubricant for their guns, as well as ammo.

CountDeMoney

Good points, Viper.  By the time you get a chance to loot in Walking Deadland or Revolutionland, the pickin's will be slim.

And, in the event the world ends apocalyptic-style, it's a good place to die very quickly, because someone will be more than willing to shoot you in the face over a 6-pack of Ensure.

Habbaku

:lol:  I don't think using a TV show as evidence of how things might be in another TV show is very apt.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2012, 07:29:15 PM
By the time you get a chance to loot in Walking Deadland or Revolutionland, the pickin's will be slim.

Some one is doing the looting.  I am not sure why we are making the assumption that it's unlikely/impossible because others have already looted.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

I was just rewatching "The Postman" the other day, and I believe it also had a 15-year interval from the original collapse.  That world also looked pretty bleak.

I'm still saying, it felt like Monroe was going to be played by Will Patton.  :P

CountDeMoney

:P It's all just human nature.  All I'm saying is the local Wal-Mart's not where you want to be when the shit is hitting the fan.