News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV - Fall 2012

Started by viper37, September 06, 2012, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

What really doesn't make sense is a claims adjuster becoming a bad ass. Can you see DGuller doing that? I rest my case :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on September 19, 2012, 12:21:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2012, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2012, 10:32:18 AM
Quote from: dps on September 18, 2012, 04:11:37 PM
Yeah, it's sort of like how in the real US, pot's illegal so nobody has any or knows how to grow it or anything.  Oh, wait.
if it was a hangable offense, without trial, to posses or use pot, less people would do it openly.

In reality, wouldn't the people using guns be making the laws/hanging people?  :hmm:

Yes. Just like in the show.

So guns do exist in the show (which I have not seen), but they are just owned by the government.

The assumption here is that the government is powerful and centralized enough to enforce this measure, like Tokugawa Japan.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 18, 2012, 05:48:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2012, 01:28:35 PM
I am glad I saw this thread in time to see  Revolution.

I liked it, despite wondering why everyone in the US suddenly misplaced their guns while developing the technology necessary to manufacture high quality swords in just 15 years.

I don't think they misplaced them so much. They are illegal. That was explicitly pointed out.

Yeah, they are illegal now - how is that working out.  Also that doesnt explain why the militias themselves arent packing -ie why are they bothering with cross bows, bows and swords?

Also to the people who dont see steel swords as being out of place in a world without any electrical power how are they making the steel?

HVC

The land is broken into feudal states, so it shouldn't be too hard to enforce (comparatively ). plus the people do have hidden stashes, it seems. Besides, after 15 years how many easily accessible bullets are there?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2012, 12:38:33 PM
The land is broken into feudal states, so it shouldn't be too hard to enforce (comparatively ). plus the people do have hidden stashes, it seems. Besides, after 15 years how many easily accessible bullets are there?

Again, why are the people enforcing the rules not carrying real guns.

As for bullets - its just been 15 years.  How much of a stockpile did that base have?  Not to mention all the other weapons and ammo just the people on Languish have?

Viking had it right - thats a lot of change for just 15 years.

HVC

When people over run MB and take his canned food and weapons those bullets will go throughout the mob. Less bullets per capita where everyone has to protect themselves. I can see bullets going fast.  Some of the other premises are stupid (magical pendant!), but I can see the gun thing happening.

Liep

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2012, 12:40:28 PM
In the scene with the general at the end all the militia guards had automatic rifles.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
When people over run MB and take his canned food and weapons those bullets will go throughout the mob. Less bullets per capita where everyone has to protect themselves. I can see bullets going fast.  Some of the other premises are stupid (magical pendant!), but I can see the gun thing happening.

I don't think you quite realize how much ammo people have stockpiled.  Not to mention what is in warehouses.  Add to that the relative ease of handloading ammo.  And I'd imagine the population would decrease rather sharply in that time, raising the bullet to person ratio.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on September 19, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
In the scene with the general at the end all the militia guards had automatic rifles.

OK, then why not send people with real guns on a mission that was apparently important?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2012, 12:25:36 PM
What really doesn't make sense is a claims adjuster becoming a bad ass. Can you see DGuller doing that? I rest my case :P
remember a piece that said stock brokers and psychopath shared many character traits?  Everything is possible.  :ph34r:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Because no one else is carrying guns anymore, so they save their ammo for really important stuff, like attacking or defending against another republic with guns.

As for bullets - its just been 15 years.  How much of a stockpile did that base have?  Not to mention all the other weapons and ammo just the people on Languish have?
Unless the ammo is properly stored, I believe it degrades over time.  It's conceivable the militia has ammo&guns stockpiles, but most civilians probably don't.
Also, guns need to be cleaned&oiled after eacher use.  After a while, you lose those tools.

And I don't think the government and the republics established themselves just like that.  I'm pretty sure there was some kind of a civil war.  That tends to deplete ammo fast.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2012, 01:33:53 PM
OK, then why not send people with real guns on a mission that was apparently important?
To avoid looking all that important.  A small group with guns could still be ambushed and have their guns stolen.  They would attract attention.  Otherwise, they look like ordinary militia.
And the officer did have a gun.

Grey Fox

Also, Terra Nova syndrome.*

*I haven't watched it yet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2012, 01:52:22 PM
Unless the ammo is properly stored, I believe it degrades over time.  It's conceivable the militia has ammo&guns stockpiles, but most civilians probably don't.

It does degrade somewhat, but the effect in 15 years is nil.  I still have ammo from the 1930s that shoots fine, and I doubt that was stored in optimal conditions 100% of the time.

QuoteAlso, guns need to be cleaned&oiled after eacher use.  After a while, you lose those tools.

Not entirely true.  As a best practice they *should* be cleaned/lubed after each use, but many modern firearms can operate well without that much maintenance.  AK-pattern rifles are famous for taking lots of abuse, and despite its reputation AR15-type rifles do not really need a whole lot of maintenance.  And anyway, firearms can be (and often are) cleaned using the crudest materials, solvents, lubricants, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

daveracher

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
Also, Terra Nova syndrome.*

*I haven't watched it yet.

I have and I would have to agree. Gus needs to start slitting some throats or I'm gonna lose interest really quickly.
Birdman of Burlington