News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Damn Potheads!

Started by Malthus, September 04, 2012, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 03:51:12 AM
Ignoring the stoners for the time being, a policy which has served me well over the decades, this law about cabins in the Great Canadian Wilderness having to have government approved signs seems a bit intrusive and asinine. Do they also have periodic checks to make sure that the toilet seat has been put down and that the verandah has been swept?

the cabin is not the Great Canadian Wilderness.  If it requires a stree number, it means it's on a street.  There are no streets in the Great Canadian Wilderness.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: ulmont on September 05, 2012, 10:35:42 AM
911 service, or at least some improvements thereto, resulted in my parents' house finally getting a street number (1234 Highway 12) rather than simply having a rural route code for mail (Rt. 1 Box 123).
Yea, when I was growing up, our mailing address consisted of:

(Name)
RR1
(Town)
(Postal code)

The "town" didn't actually exist. It was a post office in a general store beside the highway.

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting. Though I thought these cabins were to get away from it all, they are more connected than I thought.

Barrister

When I lived on a cabin by a lake I didn't have a house number.  If someone insisted they needed a "real" address, and not a PO Box, I had to give them the legal land description.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 05, 2012, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 03:51:12 AM
Ignoring the stoners for the time being, a policy which has served me well over the decades, this law about cabins in the Great Canadian Wilderness having to have government approved signs seems a bit intrusive and asinine. Do they also have periodic checks to make sure that the toilet seat has been put down and that the verandah has been swept?

the cabin is not the Great Canadian Wilderness.  If it requires a stree number, it means it's on a street.  There are no streets in the Great Canadian Wilderness.

Yup. It's on a road, between the towns of Barrie and Orillia. You can drive out and get pizza in 15 minutes.  :D Mind yoiu, it consists of a 100 acre woodlot.

Our families' *other* cottage is in serious wilderness - it's on an island in lake Kipawa, in Northern Quebec. It lacks a street number (and for that matter, a street).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 11:09:49 AM
Interesting. Though I thought these cabins were to get away from it all, they are more connected than I thought.

Depends on the location of the cabin. In my family's case we have two - this is the "close" one, and it's not really all that remote - given it is on a gravel road and you can drive there easily. The "far" one is truly remote (though we did get tourists ariving at our dock to see if my aunt was around!).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

Is that the one she lived in half the year because of her Dad's job? I remember her talking about it on Desert Island Discs a while ago.

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on September 05, 2012, 11:54:02 AM
Is that the one she lived in half the year because of her Dad's job? I remember her talking about it on Desert Island Discs a while ago.

Yup. Every once in a while, we get tourists.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 11:31:07 AM
When I lived on a cabin by a lake I didn't have a house number.  If someone insisted they needed a "real" address, and not a PO Box, I had to give them the legal land description.
Yes, that was used when province-wide 911 was rolled out- I think in the late 90s. Of course "420 X road" is a lot easier to communicate over the phone than "PB NW7 T72 R4 W5"

crazy canuck

Having a 420 sign stolen every once in a while pales in comparison to the hell I have to live through Every April 20th when all the potheads congregate across the street from my office.

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2012, 12:44:05 PM
Having a 420 sign stolen every once in a while pales in comparison to the hell I have to live through Every April 20th when all the potheads congregate across the street from my office.

*drum*

Hemp is cool! Makes clothes from hemp!

*drum*

I have an eye disease! MEDICAL MARIJUANA NOW!

*drum*

Dude, you gonna eat that?

*drum*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2012, 11:40:15 AM

Depends on the location of the cabin. In my family's case we have two - this is the "close" one, and it's not really all that remote - given it is on a gravel road and you can drive there easily. The "far" one is truly remote (though we did get tourists ariving at our dock to see if my aunt was around!).

I see, I was thinking about your family's remote cabin which I remembered you talking about because of your aunt staying there. There were also some cool pics of Carl there IIRC, or was that the less remote cabin.... :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2012, 11:40:15 AM

I see, I was thinking about your family's remote cabin which I remembered you talking about because of your aunt staying there. There were also some cool pics of Carl there IIRC, or was that the less remote cabin.... :hmm:

Those would probably been at the remote one, which is more scenic and so makes for better pics.

Grey Fox

So, when are you going to buy your own cabin instead of smooshing off your family?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.