News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Damn Potheads!

Started by Malthus, September 04, 2012, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Legalise weed and stoners won't have to be using code numbers (never heard of this 420 stuff and I know a fair number of stoners, is it new?) and getting high in the wilderness. :contract:
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2012, 07:28:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 04, 2012, 10:44:59 AM
My elderly parents have a cabin in the woods north of Barrie, Ontario. Apparently, even in such a rural spot, you are obliged to hang out a street number on a government-issued sign. The only problem is that the sign keeps getting stolen. Their neighbours' signs aren't stolen -only theirs. Repeatedly. The government is now charging them a replacement fee.

They had no clue as to why ... as it turns out, their number is "420". Which is allegedly some sort of stoner code-number. No doubt the missing signs are decorating some asshole stoner's room.  :mad:

I thought you were a pot head in your youth.  Are you sure that you aren't getting all fucked up and stealing it.

Yeah, that probably explains why his parents are the ones getting targetted.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2012, 07:53:36 PM
never heard of this 420 stuff and I know a fair number of stoners, is it new?

:lol:

I'll will never cease to be amused by the things you don't know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Legalise weed and stoners won't have to be using code numbers (never heard of this 420 stuff and I know a fair number of stoners, is it new?) and getting high in the wilderness. :contract:
I can give a pass on Malthus not knowing because of his age (though I was surprised he didn't know since he was a smoker), but really?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2012, 08:38:36 PM
I can give a pass on Malthus not knowing because of his age (though I was surprised he didn't know since he was a smoker), but really?

Wiki suggests it is a North America thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2012, 08:06:55 PM
never heard of this 420 stuff and I know a fair number of stoners, is it new?

:lol:

I'll will never cease to be amused by the things you don't know.

It makes me wonder, what does he know?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Ignoring the stoners for the time being, a policy which has served me well over the decades, this law about cabins in the Great Canadian Wilderness having to have government approved signs seems a bit intrusive and asinine. Do they also have periodic checks to make sure that the toilet seat has been put down and that the verandah has been swept?

Monoriu

I find it odd that residents and home owners have to put up government street signs.  If the government wants to put up signs, it should send people to do it. 

Brazen

That 420 thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

I can't help thinking only stoners would have picked up on something like that :hmm:

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on September 05, 2012, 04:44:41 AM
That 420 thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

I can't help thinking only stoners would have picked up on something like that :hmm:

I remember the Real Time episode from april 20 this year. Bill Maher puffed himself up and declared that it was april 20 and don't you all know what was going to be celebrated?

I was in shock, my jaw dropped to the floor I was amazed.. celebrating hitler's birthday?

but then again, trust the stoner not to look up april 20 on "this day in history" before declaring it a celebration of weed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2012, 04:56:36 PM
Can't you just paint the number on the curb? Kinda hard for potheads to steal that.

Painting on a gravel road is unrewarding.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2012, 07:28:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 04, 2012, 10:44:59 AM
My elderly parents have a cabin in the woods north of Barrie, Ontario. Apparently, even in such a rural spot, you are obliged to hang out a street number on a government-issued sign. The only problem is that the sign keeps getting stolen. Their neighbours' signs aren't stolen -only theirs. Repeatedly. The government is now charging them a replacement fee.

They had no clue as to why ... as it turns out, their number is "420". Which is allegedly some sort of stoner code-number. No doubt the missing signs are decorating some asshole stoner's room.  :mad:

I thought you were a pot head in your youth.  Are you sure that you aren't getting all fucked up and stealing it.

First I'd have to invent that time machine ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 03:51:12 AM
Ignoring the stoners for the time being, a policy which has served me well over the decades, this law about cabins in the Great Canadian Wilderness having to have government approved signs seems a bit intrusive and asinine. Do they also have periodic checks to make sure that the toilet seat has been put down and that the verandah has been swept?

Way I heard it explained is that it is a safety thing. There are no real landmarks for fire or ambulance around, so if someone calls in an emergency (as happens from time to time), people need to know where it is more exactly than "somewhere on Bass Lake Sideroad, west of Line 8".   

Maximus

Yes, 911 service requires street addresses. The area I grew up in was still somewhat pioneer country until my mid teens and didn't have niceties of civilization like 911 service. When that went in, it was required that all dwellings have a number and it had to be displayed on an approved sign.

ulmont

Quote from: Maximus on September 05, 2012, 09:59:24 AM
Yes, 911 service requires street addresses. The area I grew up in was still somewhat pioneer country until my mid teens and didn't have niceties of civilization like 911 service. When that went in, it was required that all dwellings have a number and it had to be displayed on an approved sign.

911 service, or at least some improvements thereto, resulted in my parents' house finally getting a street number (1234 Highway 12) rather than simply having a rural route code for mail (Rt. 1 Box 123).