News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 10:37:19 AM
It's very silly to tell people to their face that you actually take absurd stereotypes seriously - much less that you are basing your whole political world-view on it.  :lol:
Well, it's Grallon's point of view.  It's not like he's the only one with a stereotyped view.  We may all be guilty, if only a little of that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:38:48 PM
We lose stuff we already had while the provinces negotiate a seperate agreement with the Feds instead of sticking to the current deal, but that's not enough for you. 

What stuff did you lose that you already had?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:40:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 10:37:19 AM
It's very silly to tell people to their face that you actually take absurd stereotypes seriously - much less that you are basing your whole political world-view on it.  :lol:
Well, it's Grallon's point of view.  It's not like he's the only one with a stereotyped view.  We may all be guilty, if only a little of that.

Well, lets put it this way - everyone is to an extent guilty of believing in stupid stereotypes. Not everyone proudly announces the fact that they believe such stuff to be true, however; and it takes a special kind of stupid to proudly announce they believe such stuff to be true right in the faces of the people he's stereotyping.

Of course, this being Languish, that type of stupid is par for the course. Just to fit in, from now on I'm basing by stereotyped view of people from Quebec on - Grallon.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 12:45:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:38:48 PM
We lose stuff we already had while the provinces negotiate a seperate agreement with the Feds instead of sticking to the current deal, but that's not enough for you. 

What stuff did you lose that you already had?
veto right, as indicated by you... though it was denied by the Supreme Court, since it was not written.  Tradition can only get you so far, I guess.

As federalism moves on, it is clear that it moves in a way to favor the central government, not the provinces.  This is the biggest problem with Canada, it is way too centralised.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 12:51:22 PM
Of course, this being Languish, that type of stupid is par for the course. Just to fit in, from now on I'm basing by stereotyped view of people from Quebec on - Grallon.  :D
but we're not all gay! :cry:

btw, I don't dislike Don Cherry.  He's a loud mouth, he's... eccentric to say the least, but most of the bad stuff about him is overblown.  He just happens to like hockey fight and think it should be part of the game.  I actually respect that, even if I disagree.  What I don't respect is Quebec's journalist saying they hate this, that it only brings dangerous hit, while at the same time cheering for fights and pressuring the Canadiens' coach to get an "enforcer" (aka goon).  I can't stand hypocrisy.

Also, I never understoond why I'm supposed to agree with 100% of whatever a TV/radio hosts says when I listen to him.  It seems impossible for many for just enjoy the good moments, apparently.

Grallon

Need I remind you that Oex left this place in part because of this... chronic display of bad faith when it comes to the subject of Quebec's nationalism?  Or perhaps you count him among the stupid too?  :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

HVC

Oex left? Just like a quebecer, throwing a hissy fit and seperating :rolleyes:

seriously though, he left? i like Oex :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

I've seen Oex poke his head up in a thread here and there, but he has stopped posting for the most part.  And I think Grallon is generally right about the immediate reason for that.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Fuck Quebec.  If they wanted to run their own affairs as they wished using the money of more successful peoples, they should have won the war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 12, 2012, 10:41:27 PM
I've seen Oex poke his head up in a thread here and there, but he has stopped posting for the most part.  And I think Grallon is generally right about the immediate reason for that.

If he has left, it was due to frustration with debates held around here, but not specifically surrounding Quebec.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 11:23:50 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 12, 2012, 10:41:27 PM

If he has left, it was due to frustration with debates held around here, but not specifically surrounding Quebec.

My recollection is that the proximate cause was a debate about Quebec, but I may be mistaken.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 02:45:44 PM
but we're not all gay! :cry:

btw, I don't dislike Don Cherry.  He's a loud mouth, he's... eccentric to say the least, but most of the bad stuff about him is overblown.  He just happens to like hockey fight and think it should be part of the game.  I actually respect that, even if I disagree.  What I don't respect is Quebec's journalist saying they hate this, that it only brings dangerous hit, while at the same time cheering for fights and pressuring the Canadiens' coach to get an "enforcer" (aka goon).  I can't stand hypocrisy.

Also, I never understoond why I'm supposed to agree with 100% of whatever a TV/radio hosts says when I listen to him.  It seems impossible for many for just enjoy the good moments, apparently.

He's a god damn senile idiot but not because on his opinions on Hockey. It's the other stuff that takes the cake.

Seriously, the metric system is "commie stuff"?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on September 12, 2012, 09:56:12 PM

Need I remind you that Oex left this place in part because of this... chronic display of bad faith when it comes to the subject of Quebec's nationalism?  Or perhaps you count him among the stupid too?  :rolleyes:

G.

Nah, just you. On the subject of English Canada.  :P I mean seriously, you insult the whole rest of the country in your post and now *you* are the victim? Get real.

I like Oex, but he was perhaps too sensitive for this place.  And anyway, last time I had a multi-post battle with him it was about native Canadians, not Quebec nationalism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2012, 07:08:38 AM
He's a god damn senile idiot but not because on his opinions on Hockey. It's the other stuff that takes the cake.

Seriously, the metric system is "commie stuff"?

Anyone who dresses like he does should be shunned on principle.  :P