News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2012, 02:28:50 PM
I dont understand your point other than you appear to be making a passive aggressive anti monarchy post.
given the behavior of our government, and the support it seems to receive in Canada, it would appear Canadians still do not feel as Canadians (except when we win the hockey gold medal), but British subjects.  There is not even a Canadian nationalism, so it's hard to conceive that there could be a really provincial nationalism, outside of Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 02:36:34 PM
Quebec wasn't there, and no effort were made to reach the Quebec reprensentatives.

Now that is a very selective reading of history.  But then this "insult" allows has been.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 02:38:25 PM
given the behavior of our government, and the support it seems to receive in Canada, it would appear Canadians still do not feel as Canadians (except when we win the hockey gold medal), but British subjects.

This is absolute bullshit so I am not sure why you keep obsessing over it.  No more than Australians think of themselves as British subjects.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

given the behavior of our government, and the support it seems to receive in Canada, it would appear Canadians still do not feel as Canadians (except when we win the hockey gold medal), but British subjects.  There is not even a Canadian nationalism, so it's hard to conceive that there could be a really provincial nationalism, outside of Quebec.

Still trying Viper? *shakes head*  I've given up on these people a long time ago. 

I'll tell you what the Canadian 'identity' is made of: the refusal to be American on one side and the denial of Quebecers' collective identity on the other.  It's pathetic really.  That's why we should separate; not for monetary reasons but to avoid losing our identity and become as amorphous and colorless as they are.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on September 11, 2012, 04:13:37 PM

Still trying Viper? *shakes head*  I've given up on these people a long time ago. 

I'll tell you what the Canadian 'identity' is made of: the refusal to be American on one side and the denial of Quebecers' collective identity on the other.  It's pathetic really.  That's why we should separate; not for monetary reasons but to avoid losing our identity and become as amorphous and colorless as they are.

G.

If you despise us, we must be doing *something* right.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I guess I feel unconvinced by things that are obviously false.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

It's not so much the details of the arguments as the narrative itself.  If it isn't a deaf dialogue when it comes to this topic I don't know what is.  Witness the smugness of Malthus above!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on September 11, 2012, 05:19:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

It's not so much the details of the arguments as the narrative itself.  If it isn't a deaf dialogue when it comes to this topic I don't know what is.  Witness the smugness of Malthus above!

G.

Dude. My smugness is aimed squarely at your over-the-top hysterically dramatic insults.
Of course, what else could you expect from us "amorphous and colorless" folks?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2012, 02:39:58 PM
Now that is a very selective reading of history.
Ok.  Where was Quebec?  How come they didn't send anyone knocking on their hotel door, yet they managed to reach Saskatchewan's Premier?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

That's why we should separate; not for monetary reasons but to avoid losing our identity and become as amorphous and colorless as they are.
G.
we don't need to seperate for that.  We can become amorphous and colorless just as well in an independant country.  In fact, I'm seeing this trend with the montrealization of our medias.  Barely nothing comes from the regions anymore, everything is done in Montreal, and the few things not done there are shunned.  We even blame non Montreal media for last week's shooting.  So, colorless, we are becoming.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 08:25:41 AM
Of course, what else could you expect from us "amorphous and colorless" folks?  :lol:
it fits the stereotype of the American loud mouth and the über polite Canadian.  It's nothing new or even contained to Grallon, you know.  I remember Due South, it played kinda heavily on those stereotypes, and it was a Canadian show, IIRC.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 10:15:41 AM
Ok.  Where was Quebec?  How come they didn't send anyone knocking on their hotel door, yet they managed to reach Saskatchewan's Premier?

But that's process, and it's stuff that happened 30 years ago.  You still haven't convinced me that anything actually contained in the 1982 Constitution was in any way contrary to Quebec's interests.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 10:19:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2012, 08:25:41 AM
it fits the stereotype of the American loud mouth and the über polite Canadian.  It's nothing new or even contained to Grallon, you know.  I remember Due South, it played kinda heavily on those stereotypes, and it was a Canadian show, IIRC.

It's very silly to tell people to their face that you actually take absurd stereotypes seriously - much less that you are basing your whole political world-view on it.  :lol:

[sarcasm] But then, it is of course well known that all Quebec people are by nature incapable of logical reasoning. After all, Don Cherry-one of those uber-polite Canadians- said so, so it must be true.  [/sarcasm] 

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

Quebec and Canada made a side deal to repatriate the constitution as is and put the contentious bits to a referendum, effectively undercutting the position of the other premiers.  Why Levesque agreed to such a thing is a bit of a mystery.  But having stabbed the other provinces in the back (to use the terminology popular in Quebec) Levesque retired to his hotel.

The agreement the other provinces finally cobbled together in his absence was largely the same that NFLD had brought to the conference.  No real surprises there.  Levesque couldnt be reached (or did not want to be reached after what he had done...) but was told the first thing the next morning.  He then stormed out.

One reasonable inference to draw is that he had a couple motivations for doing so.  One he realized he was not going to get his way and that it was much more politically advantageous for him to play the victim then to further negotiate - which could easily have been done.  Another possible motivation is that he realized his "stab in the back" had not worked and he needed to save face.   Probably a combination of the two.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 10:22:54 AM
But that's process, and it's stuff that happened 30 years ago.  You still haven't convinced me that anything actually contained in the 1982 Constitution was in any way contrary to Quebec's interests.
We lose stuff we already had while the provinces negotiate a seperate agreement with the Feds instead of sticking to the current deal, but that's not enough for you.  I'm sorry, but nothing I can say will change your mind on this.  You think you have enough power as it is, we don't.  If it was just that, it would be all and well.  But unfortunately, the other provinces will do their best to prevent Quebec from gaining more autonomy just because they don't want any.

Fortunatley, even Tom Flanagan agrees that some powers should be left to the provincial authority, namely unemployement insurance in this case.