And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2012, 05:51:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2012, 01:56:46 PM
We all fail to see how is that a problem?

If Alberta wants to join in on the fun, they can start by asking the Feds for stuff we already got. Like the ability to collecter their own taxes(Income & HST).
They don't need to.  Whenever a provinces starts thinking about it, the Feds change the transfer payments and equalization formula to give them more money then ever.

And we're the spoiled ones! ;)

:huh:

Alberta is a net contributor to equalization, by a lot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2012, 06:42:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2012, 05:51:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2012, 01:56:46 PM
We all fail to see how is that a problem?

If Alberta wants to join in on the fun, they can start by asking the Feds for stuff we already got. Like the ability to collecter their own taxes(Income & HST).
They don't need to.  Whenever a provinces starts thinking about it, the Feds change the transfer payments and equalization formula to give them more money then ever.

And we're the spoiled ones! ;)

:huh:

Alberta is a net contributor to equalization, by a lot.
I was thinking of Ontario wich came close to establishing its own tax collection system under Mike Harris and Newfoundland who whined about natural resources.  Alberta is still contributing, but less so than under the ancient formula.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Isnt the game plan of the Separatists to ask the Feds for whatever and if they get it great and if they dont then they can say thats why they need to be their own country.

Try naming one other Province that acts that way.  ;)  Lets stop the silliness of trying to pretend Quebec acts like every other province in confederation.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2012, 12:29:58 PM
Isnt the game plan of the Separatists to ask the Feds for whatever and if they get it great and if they dont then they can say thats why they need to be their own country.
That is the current game plan of the Parti Québécois, yes.  It has not always been so.

Try naming one other Province that acts that way.  ;)  Lets stop the silliness of trying to pretend Quebec acts like every other province in confederation.
There are no provinces with a seperatist party in power.  There are no provinces other than Quebec who were excluded from last minute negotiations with the Federal government to change the Constitutional draft to something unacceptable.

And Quebec does not act like other provinces, Quebec does all the ground work for you.  It seems most provinces would be happy with a big bloated Federal government managing everything in their life and provincial government with just about as much power as a big city.

That ain't my vision of Canada.  This is Trudeau's vision, a Castro admirer, and I totally reject it.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 12:14:17 AM
There are no provinces with a seperatist party in power.  There are no provinces other than Quebec who were excluded from last minute negotiations with the Federal government to change the Constitutional draft to something unacceptable.

:bleeding:

Please tell me what is so unacceptable about the current constitution.  Specifics, please.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:15:30 AM

Please tell me what is so unacceptable about the current constitution.  Specifics, please.
No veto right, complicated measures to ammend the constitution, the Senate is solely chosen by the Feds, no compensation right for Federal programs, Supreme court judges solely nominated by the Feds.

Basically, what's missing is the Lake Meech accord wich would have improved it a lot.
http://www.solon.org/Constitutions/Canada/English/Proposals/MeechLake.html

We did get the immigration part though. But some other things could be added.  I ain't again the principle of an elected senate, or an Elected head of State.  I'd prefer to cut all ties with the British monarchy, but I'm willing to let go of it since it seems to... despair our Canadian friends to think of a life with her Majesty ;)

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 12:23:09 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:15:30 AM

No veto right, complicated measures to ammend the constitution, the Senate is solely chosen by the Feds, no compensation right for Federal programs, Supreme court judges solely nominated by the Feds.

Basically, what's missing is the Lake Meech accord wich would have improved it a lot.
http://www.solon.org/Constitutions/Canada/English/Proposals/MeechLake.html

We did get the immigration part though. But some other things could be added.  I ain't again the principle of an elected senate, or an Elected head of State.  I'd prefer to cut all ties with the British monarchy, but I'm willing to let go of it since it seems to... despair our Canadian friends to think of a life with her Majesty ;)

All of which existed pre-1982.  Maybe Quebec wants a veto on Constitutional change, but since there has been precisely zero constitutional change since 1982 it's hard to argue you've been screwed over.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:27:45 AM
All of which existed pre-1982.  Maybe Quebec wants a veto on Constitutional change, but since there has been precisely zero constitutional change since 1982 it's hard to argue you've been screwed over.
But it doesn't exist now, and there's a Constitution, wich we did not sign, and wich applies to us still.
It's like saying a contract you never signed is still valid for you.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:27:45 AM
But it doesn't exist now, and there's a Constitution, wich we did not sign, and wich applies to us still.
It's like saying a contract you never signed is still valid for you.

Well no, since constitutions vary from written contracts in quite a few ways.

Thats like saying your new PQ government isn't valid if you didn't vote for them.  Of course it does.

I'll repeat my point - all of the things you objected to were things that existed since 1867.  Hard to argue Quebec was "stabbed in the back" merely because they didn't get the concessions they wanted, and thus didn't vote to ratify the 1982 Constitution.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2012, 11:51:17 AM
There are no provinces with a seperatist party in power.

Bingo.
You're still not independant from the British Empire, you can't really be independant from a subsection of it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2012, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2012, 11:51:17 AM
There are no provinces with a seperatist party in power.

Bingo.
You're still not independant from the British Empire, you can't really be independant from a subsection of it.

I dont understand your point other than you appear to be making a passive aggressive anti monarchy post.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:39:38 PM
Well no, since constitutions vary from written contracts in quite a few ways.
yes, but the principle still stands.  We have a Constitution that we did not approve.

I'll repeat my point - all of the things you objected to were things that existed since 1867.  Hard to argue Quebec was "stabbed in the back" merely because they didn't get the concessions they wanted, and thus didn't vote to ratify the 1982 Constitution.
what you guys called the Kitchen Meeting.  Quebec wasn't there, and no effort were made to reach the Quebec reprensentatives.