Gen. McKiernan fired, first to be dismissed from command since MacArthur

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2009, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2009, 08:13:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 07:01:17 AM
Removing someone because they "don't play well with his boss" is a political removal.
may be, but arguing that "removing someone because they "don't play well with his boss" is a political removal" is a political argument, so the word "political' in this context is kinda meaningless.  Everything is political.

Thanks, my head hurts now... but anyway, removing someone for exactly the reason Raz states isn't necessarily a political removal, no.  There's nothing wrong with firing someone because they don't integrate well into a team.  OTOH, I don't know that this is what really happened here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2009, 11:44:50 PM
BTW, what happens when you get fired from a military job?  Do you get kicked out of the army, or do you get assigned elsewhere?
At his level, jobs come only through selection boards, and if he isn't offered one, he will retire.

It is certain that he will not be offered another job (he is competing for those jobs with a lot of highly-qualified people who haven't been fired from a position), and so he will retire.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Maybe he can be a professor at the Army War College or something?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2009, 05:25:50 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 13, 2009, 10:08:51 AM
Good riddance - McKiernan just ripped off Tolkien anyway.

What do you mean?

There was an author by the same name who ripped off JRR.  He made his hobbits warrior hobbits though, so I guess that made the trilogy different enough that he wasn't sued into next week.
PDH!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hansmeister

McKiernan is not the first General since MacArthur to be fired, Clark was fired as well after the disastrous Kosovo campaign, although that was downplayed in the press.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 14, 2009, 07:03:49 PM
McKiernan is not the first General since MacArthur to be fired, Clark was fired as well after the disastrous Kosovo campaign, although that was downplayed in the press.

Lost an entire army to the Serbs he did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

First fired during the campaign since MacArthur.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

:lmfao:  Yeah, "fired" a year later!

Hans, we are not all as dumb annd credulous as you.  Please don't waste our time with this drivel.

Clarke got "retired" as part of the same "old boy" system that forced his successor, Ralston, to also retire before his full three years as SACEUR were up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2009, 08:19:49 PM

Hans, we are not all as dumb annd credulous as you.  Please don't waste our time with this drivel.

Clarke got "retired" as part of the same "old boy" system that forced his successor, Ralston, to also retire before his full three years as SACEUR were up.

Interesting fact:  When the National Review Online was hacked and it's articles replaced with those from the Huffington Post Hans did an about face attacking Bush, Cheney, the GOP, conservatives in general, and endorsing future president Obama for three days before things were set right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2009, 03:42:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2009, 08:19:49 PM

Interesting fact:  When the National Review Online was hacked and it's articles replaced with those from the Huffington Post Hans did an about face attacking Bush, Cheney, the GOP, conservatives in general, and endorsing future president Obama for three days before things were set right.
Don't be ridiculous.  Hans sests his own opinions.  Even if you disagree with them, he's not the sort of person who would form all of his opinons on something on the unconsidered consumption of opinion collumns, magazine articles, podcasts and what he saw in movies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.