Gen. McKiernan fired, first to be dismissed from command since MacArthur

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2009, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2009, 08:13:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 07:01:17 AM
Removing someone because they "don't play well with his boss" is a political removal.
may be, but arguing that "removing someone because they "don't play well with his boss" is a political removal" is a political argument, so the word "political' in this context is kinda meaningless.  Everything is political.

I suppose we agree.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

saskganesh

Quote from: Monoriu on May 13, 2009, 01:08:11 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 13, 2009, 12:49:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2009, 11:48:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 09:56:22 PM
It is political.  War tends to be that way.  Better to toss one guy's career away then more dead soldiers.
If you could save soldiers lives by sacking the commander then the decision is not political.

I didn't like the way this was handled.

he was fired at dinner. always leaves a bad taste.

Good way to ensure that nobody accepts his dinner invitations anymore.  :lol:

oh, yeah. I imagine there's huge savings on serving desert.
humans were created in their own image

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Faeelin

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on May 13, 2009, 10:08:51 AM
Good riddance - McKiernan just ripped off Tolkien anyway.
No kidding.  I'm surprised that hack wasn't sued.
PDH!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

I guess I trust Petraeus' and Gates' judgement.  If this General needs to be fired so be it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 07:01:17 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2009, 06:43:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 09:56:22 PM
It is political.  War tends to be that way.  Better to toss one guy's career away then more dead soldiers.
I have no idea what this means.  This decision was as "political" as the decision to replace Fletcher with Halsey as commander of the South Pacific command in WW2; which is to say no more political than any given decision (and you can define politics broadly enough to make pretty much anything political).  McKiernan is being replaced by McChrystal because McKiernan doesn't play well with his boss, Petraeus.  Why you think Petraeus's desire to have his own guy in the hottest seat in his command is "political" escapes me.

Removing someone because they "don't play well with his boss" is a political removal.
Uhm, no.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2009, 11:48:29 PM
I didn't like the way this was handled.

There's really no "good way" to handle firing someone.  Of course, some ways are worse than others.

Hansmeister

The last General who failed was promoted to Army Cief of Staff.  Good thing they cashiered this one.

Good thing Gaes doesn't let himself be intimidated by the uniform like most of his predecessors did.

DGuller

BTW, what happens when you get fired from a military job?  Do you get kicked out of the army, or do you get assigned elsewhere?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2009, 11:44:50 PM
BTW, what happens when you get fired from a military job?  Do you get kicked out of the army, or do you get assigned elsewhere?

You write memoirs.