Clockwork Empires, from the makers of Dungeons of Dredmor

Started by Syt, August 28, 2012, 04:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Looking forward to it, though I have reservations similar to Max's.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I think that press throws around "like DF!" too easily for everything that has you building a settlement and that relies on supply chains. By that reckoning, the original The Settlers was a DF-game.

From what I've read in the preview, the devs do want to emulate DF's fun in failing, not its complexities.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2012, 08:11:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2012, 07:58:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2012, 06:30:44 AM
Space: 1889 did it better.

Did it have Lovecraftian horrors as hinted at by the press blurb?

Fuck Lovecraft.  It had red tunics, pith helmets and hordes of Martians.

And Dinosaurs!  Also, I'm so fucking tired of Lovecraft.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
From what I've read in the preview, the devs do want to emulate DF's fun in failing

If they manage to get anywhere close, I'll be happy.  Especially with multiplayer failure...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Well, their previous game was a pretty fun light roguelike (Dungeons of Dredmore) that was very tongue in cheek and amusing. If they can bring a similar attitude to this game (and the press release, poster and preview I linked seems to point that way) this could be really fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

Tamas

No it is not accessible. It is 2012 FFS, there have been marked improvements in interface design since 1973

Maximus

It just puts its resources into meat instead of glitter.

Tamas

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 02:56:20 PM
It just puts its resources into meat instead of glitter.

:rolleyes:

I understand its an indie project, so I am not expecting miracles. I do expect mouse support

Habbaku

Mouse support would open the game to the Taint of the iBeet crowd, though.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 28, 2012, 03:49:01 PM
Mouse support would open the game to the Taint of the iBeet crowd, though.

:lol:  MOUSES EES GUD, NO?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2012, 04:09:05 PM
You people are gonna get a hex put on you.

There's a lot of people who enjoy hex games on this forum.