Fallout 3 Mod "A Quest for Heaven" Part 3 is out

Started by grumbler, November 08, 2013, 08:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Three and a half years since part 2, and two years since the release of the trailer, the third part of A Quest for Heaven for fallout 3 is out. http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/19717/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D19717%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Why, you ask, do you care?  Because this is probably the best mod series ever done for a PC game.  It is epic in scope, beautiful in execution (there are a number of simply gob-stopping moments of wonder), relatively stable, smart, and loads of fun.  If you haven't played any of the mods in this series, and have Fallout 3, you owe it to yourself to at least try these.

The story is essentially a 'follow the breadcrumbs" tale.   The PC discovers hints of some survivors of the great war several hundred years ago, and goes to see if there is anything left of their community worth salvaging.  The story gets deeper as the PC finds that there are other groups looking for the same set of survivors, and the story eventually leads the PC into space and even into some alternate universes (but not, alas, the one in which Spock has a beard). 

The mods do feature some absurdly overpowered combat situations that you will probably have to go into god mode to survive, but that only happens about once per module.  Mostly, it is problem-solving, and the puzzles are generally logical and fun to solve.  A few of the puzzles involve finding a hidden lever or button; those are annoying but very rare.  And, as I said, the visuals can be eye-popping.  This one is worth re-installing FO3 for, but probably not worth buying FO3 for.

You can just play the third (and largest, and best) module if you want.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Interesting.  I go back to FO: NV every once and a while, but for whatever reason I've never felt compelled to go back to FO3 (and I never bought any of the expansions for it, either).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2013, 09:27:43 AM
Interesting.  I go back to FO: NV every once and a while, but for whatever reason I've never felt compelled to go back to FO3 (and I never bought any of the expansions for it, either).

Dude!!!!  :huh: Broken Steel...The Pitt....Point Lookout. Cal WTF.....
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2013, 09:27:43 AM
Alas, this mod requires all the DLC.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

They're probably all really cheap now.  Maybe I'll look into that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points