American Academy of Pediatrics: Benefits of Circumcision Outweigh Risks

Started by jimmy olsen, August 28, 2012, 12:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2012, 12:27:45 PM
But what about what I said to that point?

Sorry I had to go to class before I could address this.

I don't think I agree. There are things like those you mentioned that are actively harmful and yes, tradition shouldn't be used to excuse them. But beyond that an obsession with tradition can prevent one from accepting or even seeking out new methods, practices or ideas that can be beneficial, even in small incremental ways.

But I don't think it is an obsession with tradition. And I'd rather think - why should we change things (in a restrictive sense) if there isn't any demonstrable harm?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Yeah, why should we outlaw the practices of religious and cultural minorities when there isn't demonstrable harm?

Maximus

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
Who was talking about outlawing something?

The Germans and a number of other European commentators, using exactly the reasoning you and Martinus and MS are advancing.

Maximus

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 06:39:46 PM
I'm not responsible for what the Germans do.

Of course you're not. But when you use the same rhetoric, you should expect people to notice.

Maximus

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 06:45:46 PM
I don't know what your point is.

My point is that a whole bunch of the rhetoric being used here is also being used in Europe (by the likes of Martinus and MS) to argue for the outlawing of fundamental practices of minority religious groups.

That's the point. Nothing more, nothing less.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 06:45:46 PM
I don't know what your point is.

I guess I don't know what your point was.  I thought you were saying it shouldn't be allowed just because it was traditional. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2012, 06:50:18 PM
I guess I don't know what your point was.  I thought you were saying it shouldn't be allowed just because it was traditional. :hmm:
No, I was saying it wasn't a good idea just because it's traditional.

Maximus

For the record, just because something is a minority religious practice doesn't make it a good idea either. I kind of falls in the same category.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 06:54:53 PM
For the record, just because something is a minority religious practice doesn't make it a good idea either. I kind of falls in the same category.

Of course not.

But is it so "not a good idea" to the point that it should be outlawed?

If you don't think it should be forbidden, what is the purpose of establishing that it's "not a good idea"? Are we just sharing opinions about what other people do that we mildly disapprove of?

Siege

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 11:50:12 AM
I'm also rather wary of making irreversible and unnecessary choices on behalf of children.

I'm not. My son is my son. I own him until he becomes 20 years old, according with sefaradi tradition.
After that, he still ows me his respect and obediance.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 06:52:11 PM
No, I was saying it wasn't a good idea just because it's traditional.

Oh.  Well then.  Yes whether or not it is a good idea will have to stand on its own merits.

I do not see convincing evidence it is necessarily a bad idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."