Federal appeals court strikes down FDA tobacco warning label law

Started by jimmy olsen, August 27, 2012, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2012, 01:11:40 PM
American courts rule in favour of big business over health of its citizens. News at 11.

Some people just can't/don't want to be helped.

QuoteOr MacDonald's should put warnings on its Big Macs: Eating this will make you laughingly obese.

I saw a guy in a documentary who eats nothing but Big Macs. He was pretty thin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

He should go to Somalia and eat nothing but carrion, grass and shell casings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

When I used to smoke (I quit four years ago Labour Day), I actually used to love collecting Canada's graphic warnings. There was one really cool one (they've changed them since) that had a picture of  a cigarette with one end slowly sloping down in an arch and the slogan was: Smoking makes you impotent.

My favourite though was the one in the hospital which had the slogan: Cigarettes reduce Life Expectancy. To which I used to say, "Bah, I don't expect much out of life anyways."

Anyways, Canada has had cool graphic warnings probably for 20 or more years. Nobody even thought to think of it as violating free speech.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

25, 30 years ago, some doctors' waiting rooms had anti-smoking/drinking posters. One that I particularly remember was cigarette stumps and two burning cigarettes in an ash tray that was shaped like a lung.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2012, 02:34:49 PM
Anyways, Canada has had cool graphic warnings probably for 20 or more years. Nobody even thought to think of it as violating free speech.

:huh:

There has been lots of litigation whether or not various restrictions on cigarette ads violate free speech or not.  It's generally been found that yes, they do restrict cigarette companies free speech, but that such limit is justifiable under s. 1.  However in some cases such restrictions have been struck down.  See RJR MacDonald v Canada [1995] 3 SCR 199.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I take that back.

Other than the cigarette companies, and,maybe, their lawyers, no one really is all fussed about it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

I talked to a friend who said if those images (shown in OP link) were on a pack, she'd smoke more as they'd stress her out. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2012, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 27, 2012, 11:38:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 27, 2012, 10:04:58 PM
Free speech issue? I just don't see it.

Timmy, I love[1] you, but are you fucking retarded[2]?  This is the government compelling that a private person[3] make particular speeches with every sale of their product.  How could that be anything other than a free speech issue?

[1] In a prison way.
[2] I tried to write this in a kinder fashion, but couldn't.  This is take 3.
[3] To the extent corporations are people, I recommend life without parole[4], but that's beside the point.
[4] Except for corporations under the age of 18, who might be able to reform.

:lol:

One of my all time favourite posts.

:D  Yeah it is.  I didn't see it until I got home from work at 4:30AM and my brain was too frazzled at that point to respond but I did Laugh Out LoudTM when I read it.

ulmont

Quote from: sbr on August 28, 2012, 04:42:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2012, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 27, 2012, 11:38:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 27, 2012, 10:04:58 PM
Free speech issue? I just don't see it.

Timmy, I love[1] you, but are you fucking retarded[2]?  This is the government compelling that a private person[3] make particular speeches with every sale of their product.  How could that be anything other than a free speech issue?

[1] In a prison way.
[2] I tried to write this in a kinder fashion, but couldn't.  This is take 3.
[3] To the extent corporations are people, I recommend life without parole[4], but that's beside the point.
[4] Except for corporations under the age of 18, who might be able to reform.

:lol:

One of my all time favourite posts.

:D  Yeah it is.  I didn't see it until I got home from work at 4:30AM and my brain was too frazzled at that point to respond but I did Laugh Out LoudTM when I read it.

Glad you two liked it.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2012, 03:15:20 PM
I take that back.

Other than the cigarette companies, and,maybe, their lawyers, no one really is all fussed about it.
Not especially, but it's still stupid and pointless.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Actually who are these people who have yet to learn that smoking is harmful?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2012, 10:35:08 AM

Teenagers and particularly teenage girls.

HVC

They know, they just don't care. Pictures won't stop that. When I started I knew cigarettes were bad. They didn't have pictures yet, but if they did I highly doubt it would do anything.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 29, 2012, 12:56:41 PM
They know, they just don't care. Pictures won't stop that. When I started I knew cigarettes were bad. They didn't have pictures yet, but if they did I highly doubt it would do anything.

The idea is to create a stigma around smoking.  Thats why the anti smoking adds these days focus on how it makes you look like crap.  We cant prevent people from doing stupid things but we can appeal to their vanity.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2012, 12:54:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2012, 10:35:08 AM

Teenagers and particularly teenage girls.

Pretty sure they know they are bad. Kinda like HVC said. I know its been a bit since I was a teen but already in the 90s we had lots of info pushed on us about how bad smoking was. And now with so many places where it is banned...