And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2012, 05:45:43 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2012, 07:28:33 PM
I finally watched Clint Eastwood's performance, or at least tried to.  After a couple of minutes, I started feeling very sorry for the old man, and couldn't bear to finish watching.

I tried to as well, but the whole "wait 30 seconds, play 10 seconds of clip" thing going on with my internet connection meant I also gave up after a couple of minutes, feeling sorry for myself.  :lol:
That wasn't your Internet connection, that was Clint Eastwood's delivery.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2012, 09:34:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2012, 09:23:28 PM
Someone explain to me why the Republicans have a chance of winning this election.  Is It because people vote along party lines no matter what?  That might explain it but I also read that there is a growing number of independant voters.

So what is going on here.

When I read US political threads I usually look to Berkut as a kind of Bellweather voter but that might not be the case this election.

One might also ask why Obama is doing as well as he is in the polls, given the economy.  But then again, this is Languish, where Obama is infallible & Republicans are evil.

I think Obama is an incompetent liar.  It is just a tribute to the the political establishment these days that those qualities do not make him stand out that much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 03:59:57 PM
I think Obama is an incompetent liar.  It is just a tribute to the the political establishment these days that those qualities do not make him stand out that much.

Incompetent liar? I know the absence of evidence isn't evidence of anything.. but what lies has he been caught in?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

This is Languish, where most posters were natural Republicans, until the party abandoned them over a period from the mid-90s to the emergence of the Tea Party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

The New York Attorney General has launched an investigation of private equity firm tax treatment of management fees.  :lol:

Maybe I was a little too quick in withdrawing my joke about Democrats imitating Argentina.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 03:59:57 PMI think Obama is an incompetent liar.  It is just a tribute to the the political establishment these days that those qualities do not make him stand out that much.

Really? As in he's incompetent and a liar (as opposed to being incompetent at lying)?

Where has he been incompetent?

What has he lied about?

Eddie Teach

I dunno about incompetent, but he's been ineffectual at getting much through congress.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2012, 05:19:18 PM
The New York Attorney General has launched an investigation of private equity firm tax treatment of management fees.  :lol:

Maybe I was a little too quick in withdrawing my joke about Democrats imitating Argentina.

??? So you can't investigate tax fraud?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2012, 06:19:36 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2012, 05:55:10 PM
but he's been ineffectual at getting much through congress.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know the Republicans block everything, but stronger Presidents have been able to browbeat/intimidate/perhaps even blackmail the opposition into getting what they wanted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on September 02, 2012, 06:22:20 PM
??? So you can't investigate tax fraud?

I can investigate anything I want to.  So can you.

But when a newly minted Democratic Attorney General launches an investigation two months before the general election into a tax issue that his office has *zero* jurisdiction over (it concerns federal tax liability), and which issue the IRS has been aware of for 20 years, and one of the targets is the former employer of the opposition candidate, at least the possibility of political motivation has to creep into the discussion.

Hopefully Joan will show up soon and restore my faith in rule of law Democrats.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2012, 06:27:05 PM

I know the Republicans block everything, but stronger Presidents have been able to browbeat/intimidate/perhaps even blackmail the opposition into getting what they wanted.

Stronger Presidents have never had to deal with the House class of '10.  I sincerely doubt LBJ himself would've had much success with that crowd of amateur night assclowns.  You can't get anything done in the House without House leadership, and Boehner has proving to be completely incompetent in controlling a caucus that doesn't want to be controlled.

Hopefully a lot of them will get kicked, but I don't think it'll happen.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2012, 06:39:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2012, 06:27:05 PM

Stronger Presidents have never had to deal with the House class of '10.  I sincerely doubt LBJ himself would've had much success with that crowd of amateur night assclowns.  You can't get anything done in the House without House leadership, and Boehner has proving to be completely incompetent in controlling a caucus that doesn't want to be controlled.

Hopefully a lot of them will get kicked, but I don't think it'll happen.

Bill Clinton had many of the same problems.  Of course, we know how that ended up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017